one chimney, two appliances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBeast

Dec 7, 2005
i have a gas log insert in the basement portion of the fireplace/chimney. i wish to install a jotul blackbear on the main floor and either tap into the chimney or go thru an exterior wall. i have a feeling it's probably not a good idea using the masonry chimney via the main floor location when the fireplace/gas log insert is in the basement below within the same chimney, but i wanted some opinions to be sure.

p.s. i do not plan on using the gas log insert anymore, but i don't want to remove it either.

many thanks ahead of time for good advice.

DaBeast

DaBeast said:
i have a gas log insert in the basement portion of the fireplace/chimney. i wish to install a jotul blackbear on the main floor and either tap into the chimney or go thru an exterior wall. i have a feeling it's probably not a good idea using the masonry chimney via the main floor location when the fireplace/gas log insert is in the basement below within the same chimney, but i wanted some opinions to be sure.

p.s. i do not plan on using the gas log insert anymore, but i don't want to remove it either.

many thanks ahead of time for good advice.

DaBeast

You'd prob have to reline the chimney from the Black Bear up, and seal off the damper downstairs.

Maybe an electric log in the downstairs fireplace would be a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.