One Month Review using JOTUL F500 v3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whtoak

May 5, 2020
Virginia
Hello all,

I have been using my 2020 Jotul F500 now for over a month and want to provide a review for anyone looking to purchase this stove. I also wanted to provide this review because I based my decisions off of the reviews I read and wanted to contribute to any others looking at this stove.

My background on stoves:

I started my wood stove experience with a Jotul wood stove. I cannot remember the model but it had a small firebox. It would burn real good for about 4 to 5 hours before having to reload it. I liked everything about that wood stove except for the size and burn time. The shop owner at that time talked me into it based on my house size. I wished I had gone bigger. I also got stuck one year burning wood that was not seasoned enough and that also made my life hard that winter (I learned from that mistake). This was an old farm house with terrible insulation and brick piers for a foundation. It was hard to keep heated due to its age and construction. This smaller Jotul would have probably been real good in a more insulated house at 1100 square feet.

New House/New Stove Purchase:

When I started shopping for wood stoves I really looked hard first at the Blaze King stove. I almost pulled the trigger on this stove. However, something inside me wanted to look at the Jotul wood stoves again before pulling the trigger on the Blaze King. I also received very positive feedback on here about the Blaze King. My biggest concern was burn time. This is what was really pulling me to the Blaze King. Once I went and looked at the Jotul F500, I could not walk away from it. I then did a ton of research and reviews for this stove and only found a small number of bad reviews. I went and looked at that stove 3 times and was worried to death about burn time. I kept sharing my concern with the dealer about this. He finally went and got the owner of the store and the owner has a Jotul F500 in his house. He told me out of all the stoves he carries this was the one he put in his house and loves it. So after talking my wife to death about the Blaze King versus the Jotul, I bought the Jotul. This was 3 months before completion of my house. I was worried the whole time that I would not like the Jotul because it would not burn for 12 hours or more. It was finally installed right after Christmas and I must say that I am very pleased with this stove. Right now I am averaging around 6 to 7 hours of burn time. However I have not had to load it all the way up yet and damp it all the way down. I have not needed to. When I get up in the morning my house is usually around 72 to 73 degrees. This stove gets my house to 76 degrees in about an hour and hotter when really going good (around 400 to 450 degrees). 350 degrees seems to be the hotspot for my house right now. The house holds that heat in for at least 8 hours before starting to drop back down. I am burning mostly white oak right now with a little bit of red oak mixed in. Wood is at 15 % moisture content.

My new house is a 1500 square foot ranch house that is completely bricked all the way around. It is a square shape and I had the brick hearth put in the middle of the house in the great room (kitchen/living area). I went with a Class A chimney instead of a brick flue lined chimney after discussion with my bricklayer and wood stove dealer (I am happy with that decision so far). I have around twenty feet of vertical pipe. The draft is great. So for all those considering a Jotul, if you have a new house that is well insulated, I highly recommend this stove. The stove is built really well and looks good in the middle of the house. I wanted a really good-looking stove due to the fact that it would be the center piece of the house. The Jotul checks that box all day long. I have already had compliments from visitors about this stove and they want to know more about it. I was so worried about about burn time but not anymore. This stove heats the house up nicely and puts off great heat. Since I telework now all the time, I am here to run the stove all day. I usually use 5 pieces of oak in the morning to get it going and add a log or two during the day when needed (every few hours or so). So far, 3 to 4 logs in the fire box is all I am needing to maintain the heat I want. My heat pump has not been on in 3 weeks. I did not get a fan with the stove. I have ceiling fans in the great room and master and cut those on to circulate the heat. I have also not emptied my ash pan based on comments from current owners on this website. This advice is also working well for me. I just clean out the box and start again. The only down side to this stove was the cost. It is not cheap but with a purchase like this cheaper for me was not better. Quality is what I was looking for and got that with this Jotul.

I hope this helps anyone else out there considering a Jotul F500 wood stove.

thank you for sharing! we need more reviews of the new models so this is hugely helpful. I myself was recently between an f500 hearthmounted and BK insert. Happy to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm guessing the Oslo is now a Cat stove. Correct?

Thanks for the review. I have the older version of the f500. Its been good and does look great which matters a lot. Mine runs between 500-700 degrees when going. Seems like that stove is as big as you could go for your house. Mine does a bit over 3000 square feet. I might suggest getting some pine to burn in the fall spring because you might get roasted out of there.

Good review whtoak . . . this is the V3 version with the cat, correct? Would love to hear more on how well the cat works in this stove.

I love my old Oslo. With the blue/black enamel it still looks brand new! I'd be interested to see if you can get 12 hour burns out of it. Glad you're happy with the new stove. IMO, it has been the nicest looking stove on the market for a long time. I just wish they made the v3 version so you could upgrade older oslos.

I have an Oslo 500 installed in 2015. Did you choose to rear vent your Oslo? If it is not I would hope you can move the stove far enough forward to use this option. Mine is rear vented and is much easier to clean the chimney that- a- way.

whtoak I appreciate your taking the time to write up the review. The F500 has been a very popular model so there was a lot of concern about any changes made to the new version. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you. How controllable is the fire via the air control? Have you changed your startup procedure at all?

Reactions: avsmusic1
The cat works fine as far as I can tell. The new stove works just like my older Jotul as far as operation goes. I was concerned that the new regulations would make the stove hard to use but that is not the case at all. All I do is put a little dry pine kindling, rolled up newspaper, then some pieces of oak when starting the fire. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour to get it going real good. The biggest thing that everyone states on here about wood burning in general is using dry seasoned wood.

The air control works fine. I am finding that I damp it down about 3/4s of the way once the fire is hot for a nice burn. Right now it is around 23 degrees outside and the temp on the inside is 76 degrees. The other night I had it up to 80 and opened the windows for a few minutes.

I have yet to load it up full to the top. I really don't feel like I need to. Once the stove is good and hot I just put a piece of wood in every couple of hours and then when I go to bed I add 3 or 4 pieces. When I get up in the morning the house is usually at 71 to 73 degrees and there is enough coals to just add a couple of pieces to get it going again.

After living in an older farmhouse for 9 years fighting the mice, frozen pipes, emergency heat and cold floors I put a lot of thought and research into the new house I had built. I made sure I put a big square brick hearth on the floor space in the middle of the house (I wanted to have plenty of room on the hearth area and am glad I made it this size). I made the house a square shape with open area in the middle with ceiling fans. I used adventech flooring and bricked the whole house. There is no wood or vinyl on the outside of the house. Even the back deck is brick. The pics I am posting were before I moved in and had the chimney installed. So there is nothing coming out of the roof. I put a couple years of thought into this before we built this house while I cleared the land. Me and my wife looked at every house plan on the earth (lol). They all look the same after a while. I finally had a local architect design this house and telling him exactly what we were looking for (This was the best way. Looking at all those plans got us nowhere). The only thing I would have done different is I would have added another 2 feet to the house and had a roof put in over the back deck. However, I wanted to keep the house at a certain cost and managed to do that. I know this is a lot of info but I hope it helps anyone that is in a similar situation down the road. I truly believe any new stove would have worked great in this house based on the way I had it built and designed. You just need to plan the house around the type of heat you want to use. Living in an old drafty house for a long time will help you plan better in the future!

Attachments

• KIMG0105.JPG
    KIMG0105.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 681
  • KIMG0108.JPG
    KIMG0108.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 552
  • KIMG0107.JPG
    KIMG0107.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 690
  • KIMG0120.JPG
    KIMG0120.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 660
Looks like the place would stand up to the big bad wolf! ;)

Reactions: benthosMT
Thank you for the review. I'm considering the f500 V3 for my fireplace. I have a question for you though. I know you can take the top off easily to service the cat. Are the baffle tubes and the entire baffle easily removable? I ask because my plan is install it in front of a narrow fireplace. So I wont have easy access to the tee behind (it will be rear flu mounted). And I'd like to be able to run a soot eater or other rotary chimney cleaning device through the stove and the rear tee up the liner. Is this possible?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else has found reviews on the Jotul F500 V3 Oslo with the high flow catalyst? I need a new stove and am back and forth between the Jotul and the Blaze King Princess. I live in Northern Canada so this stove will see consistent use for 6 months of the year. It was -45 degrees last weekend - with no wind chill!
Thanks,
Spencer
Yellowknife, NWT, Canada

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else has found reviews on the Jotul F500 V3 Oslo with the high flow catalyst? I need a new stove and am back and forth between the Jotul and the Blaze King Princess. I live in Northern Canada so this stove will see consistent use for 6 months of the year. It was -45 degrees last weekend - with no wind chill!
Thanks,
Spencer
Yellowknife, NWT, Canada

I would recommend the Blaze King for serious heating demands

Spencer Tracy, how large an area will the stove be heating? What was the old stove and how well did that work out? Do you heat 24/7 all winter long or just when home?

Just moved into the house this summer so still tweaking our heating requirements. House is three story 2000sf including a finished basement. My primary heat source is a Piazzetta Pellet stove located in the basement. House also has a forced air oil furnace which I do not use. I currently have an Osborn 1600 woodstove on the first floor. Not sure of the age but older for sure. Provides adequate heat but not very efficient. We burn 7 days a week; 20 hours per day. The pellet stove will heat the entire house until -15 degrees Celsius after which we fire up the woodstove. Given our climate - we experience over 3/4 months where the temps are consistently below -15.

I would recommend the Blaze King for serious heating demands
Sailrmike, can you elaborate. I've owned many types of stoves in the past including Jotul, Blaze King and Morso. For both form and function I prefer Jotul. My hesitation is the Jotul redesigns may have design gliches as they are less than 2 years old. Thanks.

I love my old Oslo. With the blue/black enamel it still looks brand new! I'd be interested to see if you can get 12 hour burns out of it. Glad you're happy with the new stove. IMO, it has been the nicest looking stove on the market for a long time. I just wish they made the v3 version so you could upgrade older oslos.
You want to wait a while before you get envious of the new design. I hope it works out but I am very sceptical of a cat you can't bypass

I hope it works out but I am very sceptical of a cat you can't bypass
Wow, I've never been a fan of the Oslo but I'd be skeptical also as a cat owner who knows what happens when I "forget" to open the bypass.

I do not know a whole lot about the baffle or not being able to bypass the Cat. Sorry, but I really cannot give any advice/knowledge about that. I am definitely not a wood stove expert. I did not look into any of those concerns. What I do know is I have been burning everyday without issue now going on two months. The stove is working just fine and I work it just like I did my other older Jotul stove. To me it acts just the older Jotul but with a bigger firebox and longer burn time. If I do run into any issues in the future I will be sure to let everyone know on here.

Also, so far the longest burn time I have experienced is around 8 hours. This is where I went to bed at 10 and reloaded at 6 with hot coals still in the box. When the stove gets going it gets nice and hot in my house. 75 to 79 degrees. We have opened the doors a few times at night to let some of the cold air in when it has gotten to hot.

Sailrmike, can you elaborate. I've owned many types of stoves in the past including Jotul, Blaze King and Morso. For both form and function I prefer Jotul. My hesitation is the Jotul redesigns may have design gliches as they are less than 2 years old. Thanks.
I didn't have good luck with my V3, and my concerns were ignored by the manufacturer. It's amazing what b.s. one can run into. Don't waste your money. Welded steel firebox is a basic starting point. Go from there

Reactions: Barry C
And no one takes stoves back, not once they're delivered, not once they're installed, not once they've been burned. But I got a full credit after several fires..... and I documented everything I did. I don't think this would have happened if there wasn't known issues with the heater, just sayin' buyer beware

And no one takes stoves back, not once they're delivered, not once they're installed, not once they've been burned.
That is not true of all dealers. Some do, many don't.

Most dealers around us including us will take back stoves if there is an issue.