One More control question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Hearth Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I have 3 zones running off a tarm 60 with 1100 gallons of pressurized storage. I have a DHW zone on a sidearm on the propane 50 gallon hot water heater, and a main heat zone of a propane forced air furnace with a water to air coil in the plennum. The third zone is infloor tubes in a shop with 1-1/4" lines for transit. I have 2 Johnson control A419 24v aquastats. One will be threaded into the top foot of one of the storage tanks,the other will be threaded into a tee in the bottom of my DHW heater. All zones will have caffeli 1-1/4" zone valves of a grunfos Alpha pump. My question is how do I control my furnace. How does it know if it should ignite the burners if there is know heat in the boiler or tanks? Or how does it know to just turn on the blower fan and blow heat off of the coil. What if the boiler is hot and the tanks are not with zones calling for heat? Taco makes a 3 zone relay with priority. Is this what I need? I will show any imput to my electrician. Thank you for any imput.

hot water or no hot water that is the question, aquasat can decide to either run the hot water side or to let the fossil fuel side take over. we just split the control on furnace and if there is hot water it holds off the furnace control.

I accomplished this pretty easily with 2 thermostats on my furnace. My "second" thermostat is wired directly to the air conditioning controls on my existing thermostat. During heating season I throw the breaker on the AC. So when the second thermostat calls for heat it essentially turns on the AC. The fan turns on but since the breaker is thrown for the AC the compressor does not run. I also have this circuit wired to a relay that turns on the circ pump that runs the hot water from my boiler/tank to my coil.

I have the original thermostat also turned on in heating mode. I have a program in this thermostat set at maintaining a lower temperature than the second thermostat. If I ever run out of hot water when I'm not home the original thermostat will turn on the gas furnace if the temp in the house drops to it's set point. The furnace is smart enough to shut the fan off during the ignition sequence so there is never any problem.

This is how I did it with no aquastats, no fancy controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.