One Round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Labfriend

Dec 23, 2018
Virginia
Hi All,
I am a wood scrounger and have not paid for wood. I look on Facebook and Craiglist and get all I need. Typically someone is getting a tree cut down and I go and get a pickup load or two. This time a tree service asked if I wanted them to drop off a trailer load. I said sure, not knowing what I was getting into. Well, they dropped it off, filling up most of my driveway. Maybe ten to fifteen pick-up loads along with some huge pieces I would never have taken myself.

All in all it is a good problem to have I guess and it will sure keep me busy.

Below is a pick of one of the rounds and the amount of split wood it provided.

20230115_112704.jpg 20230115_101210.jpg

Beautiful! A 30 inch drum. What did you split it with? Looks like ash, or maybe white oak.

I've brought home single rounds as heavy as 1400#, most notably a white oak that grew to 60" diameter. The heartwood was rotten below 14 feet, but the solid rounds above that height were still 49" diameter. You can get more than 1/4 cord from a single Ø49" x 20"L round, at typical stacking density.

Beautiful! A 30 inch drum. What did you split it with? Looks like ash, or maybe white oak.
Luckily I had recently bought an electric splitter. For the big pieces, I have to slab the sides with an ax and/or maul; Fiskars. Until last summer I did all of my splitting manually. Getting old though and the shoulder and elbow were not feeling it any more.

I've brought home single rounds as heavy as 1400#, most notably a white oak that grew to 60" diameter. The heartwood was rotten below 14 feet, but the solid rounds above that height were still 49" diameter. You can get more than 1/4 cord from a single Ø49" x 20"L round, at typical stacking density.
Wow, 60 inches. That's almost a dining room table.

Reactions: j7art2
Holy smokes. I just did a 20" oak round the other day that I estimated was about 150lbs when I heaved it into the van. If that's green, hopefully you have a ramp and a trailer. Heck, a 60" round is probably a single load on my little Harbor Freight trailer. ;lol

Good stuff. 30 inch stuff is good to learn your preferred technic for the day that the big stuff shows up. 50+ inch rounds brings a whole different level of game to town.
20161126_131142.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Wow, 60 inches. That's almost a dining room table.
Yeah, and a big one at that, if it weren't hollow. Typical 4-person kitchen table is 42" diameter.

But this was all rotten mush at the base, and a hurricane had broken it off about 15 feet above the ground. Like a standing tube of good sapwood around a hollow core. Largest good solid rounds were above the break and Ø49" or smaller, which were still insanely heavy, and yielded 1/4 cord per round.

Love that trailer, Jags!