One Ton Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
Well The first Ton has been gobbled up by the monster. I took today and did a huge clean out on the stove. Per the reviews here I purchased a Linteater from Lowes. Worked really good, wish it was about a 1/4 inch wider, a little loose in 4 inch pipe. No leaf blower here, so I used a air compressor and stuck it in the clean out, and blew a bunch of stuff out, I also used the air compressor to clean up and around the heat exchanger tubes. She looks brand new, and ready for the show room. Couple of things I will do different during the spring cleaning. I will remove the wheel from the combustion blower, so I can clean it more, I got 90 percent of it, and also alot of dusty bunnies on the inside of the stove. Hard to get in there and clean, with all the boards, motors, airpumps, and so on and so forth. So I need to look into getting in there better. Overall I am really happy. The only other thing I have to look into is if the agitator chain needs greased around the sprocket!

Attachments

• cleaning 2.jpg
    cleaning 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 223
  • cleaning1.jpg
    cleaning1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: DexterDay
Brokenwing......Nice stove. I have always said..."Take care of your stove, and it will take care of you." Unfortunately, like the shoemaker's kids, my stove is not kept as well as I preach to others to do. Maybe you went a little bit overboard on the depth of cleaning that was needed after a ton, but hey, these stoves are not just appliances, they're hobbies! Great stove...thanks for sharing.

Brokenwing......Nice stove. I have always said..."Take care of your stove, and it will take care of you." Unfortunately, like the shoemaker's kids, my stove is not kept as well as I preach to others to do. Maybe you went a little bit overboard on the depth of cleaning that was needed after a ton, but hey, these stoves are not just appliances, they're hobbies! Great stove...thanks for sharing.

these stoves are not just appliances, they're hobbies!
I never thought of it that way but its kinda true. I find myself here too...maybe its a habit..or worse...a sickness_g edit...and I drink more beer too;em

Great job! Keep it happy and it will keep you warm :cool:

Reactions: Brokenwing
Ya I probably went beyond what is needed, but I see so many threads on here day in and day out about folks having problem with there stoves, and the reason is they do not take care of them. I am pretty happy, I am not burning top of the line stuff, but I have burned powerhouse pellets, Lignetics, and Premium Hardwood pellets, and after a ton I had a about a 5 gallon bucket of ash, so I am pretty happy with the stoves performance. So thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them.

I will second the Linteater as a must tool. I do that after every ton and it sure makes a difference in how my stove breathes! The last thing you want to experience is your stove going DOWN on a cold snowy day.

Reactions: Brokenwing
Good work.

I read alot about a leaf blower whats it for blowing out exhaust pipe? Wouldn't the blower end on shop wac work just as well??

I
I read alot about a leaf blower whats it for blowing out exhaust pipe? Wouldn't the blower end on shop wac work just as well??
I am not sure about the strength of the blower end on the shop vac. What the guys do with the leaf blower is they do a good cleaning of the vent and passages, and then put the leaf blower in the pellet stove vent outside, and turn on the suction. this pulls alot of fly ash out of the vent, passages, and other nooks and crannys that are hard to get to. This is only done after a manual cleaning of the stove, It is not meant to replace the human portion of the cleaning.

Did someone say beer?

Yep......

.. beer...

^^ This guy ^^ :)

Brokenwing, looks great. Good job on the cleaning

The LBT has MUCH MORE suction that your run of the Mill Shop vac. It's no replacement for regular cleaning, but when done afterwards, it puts the final touch on the stove and vent, to ensure you got it all. :)

Here is a short vid of a member here doing the Leaf blower trick
[/quote]

Reactions: smoke show
Has anyone tried the leaf blower trick with a gas powered blower? I noticed all the videos I watched, everyone was using an electric blower. Which makes attaching the blower a little easier.

Some electric blowers can also vacuum that's what you want suck the ash out of the stove and blow it outside. The wording, leaf blower trick, is a bit misleading so suck, not blow all clean go have a Beer;)

Status
Not open for further replies.