One year old ComfortBilt HP50 overheats and then shuts down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nixie3

Nov 17, 2022
iowa
Our Comfortbilt HP50 is a year old. My husband is diligent about thoroughly cleaning it twice a week. He even cleans out the exhaust weekly. All of a sudden it is running very hot. I have it set on ECO 70 and it will not shut off at 70. It runs up to 80+ and then shuts itself off because it is overheating. I even turned it to manual Level 1 tonight and it is now 79 degrees. Soon, it will shut off and smoke leaks out through the front door gasket. What we have done: He totally took it all apart today and spent the entire day cleaning it out. He said the blades turn freely on the fan, the cold air vent was removed and reinstalled as was the exhaust. It is still happening. I plan on calling ComfortBilt tomorrow, but figured the good people here might have something else we can check.
We know absolutely nothing about mechanical stuff and we have no fireplace person in our immediate area who can come and take a look for us. We are elderly and on a fixed income and sure hate the thought of having to go back to Liquid Propane at the prices they are today! Any clues where else we can look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Is the room temperature sensor connected? I don't own a HP50 but the manual lists the temp sensor as a possible cause of high temp/overheating. Along with are the room blower & exhaust fans working.

sam