Only thing I don't like about my new Manchester so far...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rpwalton

Dec 15, 2022
Southern Missouri
... is that I cannot ever see the catalysts to tell if they are working or not.
I just think it would be nice if there was a way to actually see the catalysts glowing orange when they are working.

You should be able to tell if the cat is burning by the probe themometer. If it is in the active range, cat should be burning. And a cat can be burning, but not glowing. On a new load, you should see the needle rise fairly quickly in the active zone, if the cat has lit.
Or at the beginning of a load, with the bypass closed, if secondary flames aren't burning in the top of the box, yet the chimney is not smoking, then the cat must be burning the smoke.
Can you shoot the top of the firebox directly above the cat, with in infrared thermometer? On a new load, once the bypass is closed and the cat is burning, the temp of the box above it should rise quickly.

Reactions: rpwalton
Yeah, just going by the cat probe getting into the active zone, seems to be working fine, no smoke at all from the chimney top.

Yeah, just going by the cat probe getting into the active zone, seems to be working fine, no smoke at all from the chimney top.
The cat probe is far better than visual indications regardless

The cat probe is far better than visual indications regardless
Yeah, you can tell roughly how hot the cat is if it's glowing, but if it's burning and not glowing, the probe still tells you it's working.
I've been using the Auber digital thermometer with thermocouple cat probe that Todd gave me, for a couple months now...instant feedback on exactly what's happening when you make an air adjustment. 👍