opinions needed: 2 sketches of chimney options for BK Ashford 30 purchase tomorrow. Any other options to achieve draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Please see attached pics. I have a dealer holding a BK Ashford 30.2 for pickup tomorrow AM about $800 cheaper than anywhere else, but want to identify a workable flue height (15') solution before I take the plunge.

Option A is our preferred location in newly added living room. But ugh... 9' above roofline...

Option B is inside center of house, still in new living room but against interior wall of bedroom. Not ideal location relative to living layout. Chimney cuts straight through center of attic storage and exits near peak. Ugh.

Any other layout option suggestions?

Any way to increase draft with less height?

Any other cat stoves with lesser height requirements I should consider?

Appreciate the input.

20220902_184344.jpg 20220902_184407.jpg

Option b. No doubt.

No other way to improve draft other than a tall straight chimney.

Option b. No doubt.

No other way to improve draft other than a tall straight chimney.
Any inherent problems with A from a performance standpoint? Trying to decide if I can live with it and just brace it twice.
I currently unscrew my Jotul f400 chimney once a year to clean it because it's also ~7' above roofline. (Elsewhere in the house but similar heights.)

How about draft inducers?

Inside chimneys stay warmer. Other than that, not much.
Double braces would be needed and a bit ugly.snow sliding against the chimney at the lower end of the roof would need to be thought of.

Draft inducers are either energy hogs and won't make a difference when the stove is running (only during lighting).

Also, unscrewing is not needed when you clean bottom up. Google SootEater.

I use one for a 27' high chimney

Inside chimneys stay warmer. Other than that, not much.
Double braces would be needed and a bit ugly.snow sliding against the chimney at the lower end of the roof would need to be thought of.

Draft inducers are either energy hogs and won't make a difference when the stove is running (only during lighting).
Sorry, I should clarify, Option A is still inside until it exits the roof..just located at the outside corner (i.e. short end) of the house.
Thanks for explaining the inducers.

Yes, but a significant fraction will be outside there.
Wind, braces, cool down, snow are all potential issues.

You can do it, and it can work. But it's better inside. If not possible otherwise, go for it. Just don't compromise on chimney length and safety (bracing, snow diversion etc.)

All, TY for help. We are probably going to locate the Ashford 30 near the patio door, under the peak, with a 15 or 16' vertical run. An outdoor patio will follow at some point for wood storage and a view of the back 40.

20220902_184418.jpg

That sounds like a good plan.

I like "C". As Stoveliker points out, the more of the stack that stays within the envelope of the home (attic), the better.

As far as the draft inducers, the caps seem to work very well. However, they require electricity. They also must be cleaned and ongoing access is part of the concern. (especially if snow fall is possible) I saw two different models recently and both were retail in excess of $1200.00 I must admit, they looked cool.