Optimal Stove pipe install on standing seam metal roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deltafox

Oct 11, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I have a house that's in the process of being framed as we speak. I'm looking through things I need to order for my wood stove. Roof is 8/12 pitch, standing seam metal, cathedral ceiling inside, pipe will be pretty close to the peak. Planning on getting the 24" Cathedral support box kit from northline: https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duratech-cathedral-ceiling-support-kit-dt620-kit-17080.html

Was wondering what the best flashing set up would be? Northline has flexible metal flashing for metal roofs that I can include with the kit, I've also seen some posts recommending excel flashing though. Best to make a slit in the metal roof, slide in the flashing in and mold it to the seams?

There will be spray foam insulation against the roof sheathing instead of on the attic floor. Would I then just put the insulation shield on the roof side of the pipe? Planning on wrapping the rest of the pipe with a thermal blanket.

I have a house that's in the process of being framed as we speak. I'm looking through things I need to order for my wood stove. Roof is 8/12 pitch, standing seam metal, cathedral ceiling inside, pipe will be pretty close to the peak. Planning on getting the 24" Cathedral support box kit from northline: https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duratech-cathedral-ceiling-support-kit-dt620-kit-17080.html

Was wondering what the best flashing set up would be? Northline has flexible metal flashing for metal roofs that I can include with the kit, I've also seen some posts recommending excel flashing though. Best to make a slit in the metal roof, slide in the flashing in and mold it to the seams?

There will be spray foam insulation against the roof sheathing instead of on the attic floor. Would I then just put the insulation shield on the roof side of the pipe? Planning on wrapping the rest of the pipe with a thermal blanket.
If you can just tuck under the ridge cap that would be the best. If not either excel or ventis flashing for metal roofs is your best bet.

As far as insulation shield etc follow the chimney manufacturers instructions. And no you absolutely do not wrap the pipe with insulation of any sort.