Options for Double Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tregan_zzz

Mar 31, 2020
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi all! Was wondering if I could get some suggestions. I have a double sided fire place that faces the living room and den. Its a great location for a insert to heat the house. The problem is, I don't want to install an insert and ruin the appeal of the other side. The size is also unusual from what I understand. Was curious to see if there is an option for a double sided insert? Or is it possible to tie in a stand alone stove to the chimney, but also maintain use of the fire place.

Thanks!

Hi all! Was wondering if I could get some suggestions. I have a double sided fire place that faces the living room and den. Its a great location for a insert to heat the house. The problem is, I don't want to install an insert and ruin the appeal of the other side. The size is also unusual from what I understand. Was curious to see if there is an option for a double sided insert? Or is it possible to tie in a stand alone stove to the chimney, but also maintain use of the fire place.

Thanks!

Thanks!
No inserts I know of. And no you can't run a stove through the fireplace chimney and still use the fireplace

The Supreme Duet is a fireplace, not an insert. This would require an expensive replacement of the existing system. I think there are some double-sided inserts made in England, but I don't think they are sold here. At least I haven't seen any.

The Supreme Duet is a fireplace, not an insert. This would require an expensive replacement of the existing system. I think there are some double-sided inserts made in England, but I don't think they are sold here. At least I haven't seen any.
I thought the Duet was available as a freestanding unit as well, not just a "zero clearance" unit.

My forum icon is a pic of the living room side of our double-sided fireplace. The back side opens into the dining room and we open its glass doors to allow heat to circulate better, off the back side of the Jotul. The installer offered to spray paint the back of the insert black, but what with paint fumes and the fact that closing the iron "curtain" that's part of the glass doors blocks the view of the sheetmetal but allows heat to flow, we said no thanks. In other words, we turned a double-sider from a liability and lousy-drawing fireplace design into a benefit.

-dan

Reactions: Winginit

Parson me, it's called the Vision when used as a freestanding stove.
I'm not sure if one can remove the base on the freestanding Vison. Otherwise, it's too tall for most fireplaces. The base is also where the blower is located.

Here is a Stovax Stockton that's double-sided.

And a bunch more

Our double sided fireplace was so large we were able to fit a wood burning fireplace insert on one side and a pellet burning insert on the other. A top plate had to be cut custom to fit both metal flue liners since there are no prefab top plates with two holes of the appropriate sized we needed, which was fairly easy but an added task.

Another thing I considered was buying an oversized fireback to disguise the back of the insert on the exposed side and setting a nice set of andirons and decorative firescreen to make the unused side look like a functional fireplace. I never looked but imagine there are probably some decorative logs that could be placed on a grille to give more appeal.

Yes, it could even have an electric fireplace insert installed there.