Options for replacing prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstluise

May 27, 2014
WA
I was hoping to put in a new wood stove insert for this upcoming winter but my hopes and dreams were crushed when I discovered I had a prefab fireplace. From what I've read online there isn't a lot of options in my case. The fireplace I have is a Temco TLC39-2 (-3). It does have an inner (8") and outer (12") pipe. I found some info on the fireplace: http://www.fireplacehrv.com/imtlc363.pdf

I've read about zero clearance fireplaces...is that my only option and am I a candidate for one? Any other options? Would I be able to reuse the existing pipe?

Here is a picture of the fireplace (somewhat disassembled):

Any advice is appreciated!

After reading through the manual it looks like you either have to replace it with a new zero clearance unit or tear it all out and do an alcove stove install.

Or you could run a liner up the chimney and connect a free-standing, rear-exit stove to it.

Substituting
other manufacturers' components for, or altering
TEMCO parts will void the UL listing and the TEMCO
warranty.

WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TO
BE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THAN
THOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACE
INSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,
HEAT CIRCULATORS). USE OF THESE ITEMS
COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD

because of these statements i dont think a freestander can be done in this case either

With a freestander in front of the Temco you are no longer using it at all. The UL listing is intact and not voided. The ZC flue is just a conduit for the liner.

Substituting
other manufacturers' components for, or altering
TEMCO parts will void the UL listing and the TEMCO
warranty.

WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TO
BE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THAN
THOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACE
INSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,
HEAT CIRCULATORS). USE OF THESE ITEMS
COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD

because of these statements i dont think a freestander can be done in this case either

I can see your point with inserts in ZC fireplaces although I not necessarily agree with it but that blanket statement is really driving it too far. That paragraph is the same as food manufacturers printing "may contain wheat and nuts" now on all packages to absolve themselves from all liabilities even when none of the two are in there.

There is no reason to think a freestanding stove observing all required clearances and having a proper liner installed will be any unsafer than the prefab itself. Would tearing it out and putting a ZC fireplace or stove in better? Sure, but also way more costly.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm trying to get his all straight. It sounds like with a zero-clerance unit I would have to remove the prefab unit? Or does the zero-clearance stove go inside the prefab?

I don't really want to put a freestanding stove in front of it because it would take up quite a bit of room. But I do like the idea of an alcove, even though it would more effort than I was anticipating.

Is there any situation where I would reuse the existing flue? Or does pretty much everything require a new double-walled flue to be installed?

Thanks again

no you cannot reuse the existing flue unless you replaced the unit with one that speced that flue. But the only ones thet would use that flue would just like the one you have. And no you do not put a stove in that unit you would remove it and the chimney install a new unit and new chimney. In an alcove install you would open up that wall enough to get your necessary clearance and then finish the alcove install stove and new class a chimney. Most high efficency units are going to call for a class a insulated chimney yes

Thanks. That all makes sense. I did read about putting stove inserts into the prefab, but all of it seemed kind of iffy...like it all depends on what prefab you have an what unit you are installing. Besides that, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of space leftover for the insert if you were to put it in the prefab.

In what case would you run a "liner" instead of running a completely new pipe? For example, my current pipe has a 12" outer and 8" inner. If a fireplace called for a 6" pipe would you just run it up through the existing or just scrap the old stuff and run it by itself?

Well when you pull out that zc fireplace there will be nothing supporting that old chimney so you will need to take it out. Personally i would never run a liner through a zc chimney but it can be done and works pretty well with a freestander like said previously. I would just run a class a and be done with it. But i guess i am a bit of a stickler for following code and not contradicting manufacturers instructions

I had a similar situation. Small contractor grade zc fireplace. I removed the prefab and existing chimney and replaced it with a Valcourt FP 10 Lafayette. I had this professionally done to pacify the insurance companies. I have yet to crank it up as this was done in early summer. A working model of the FP 10 is displayed at the business I purchased it from. They demoed the FP and it really put out some serious heat (it had a beautiful secondary burn). I am looking forward to being able to use the FP throughout the winter whereas before I only used the prefab during shoulder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.