Options for window covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
OK folks,
I've been out of the game for a little while, but always on cause I knew the day would come that I burn again... My darling and I are close to closing, and I want the king... Where I want to put it is just about wall to wall Windows... What are my options for window coverings, or some sort of privacy in the stove area???
Tks!!!

Fiberglass curtains?

I like your thinking... But I'm guessing I'm SOL???

Last edited:
Don't know how... I'm not on Photobucket or anything of that nature... But I'll search the site to see if there is a different way to attach

Bah, dang phone... I'll try to get the pic up from my computer later...
@begreen I figured it might be my only option, I couldn't think of anything... Unless I put the stove in the middle of the room... But I probably won't...

If the windows are inside your clearance to combustibles, you could replace the windows (or if they're double-hung, just the sashes) with obscure glass. There are tons of options.

If you want a cheaper option, Rust-Oleum sells window frosting in a can.

If you really want to go nuts, I bet you could order some hardieplank cement siding and use it for vertical blinds. That would be a bit of a DIY project but I bet you could pull it off if you picked the right headrail. You'd probably have to touch up the paint on the verticals time to time, as the cement will probably chip as they bang against each other.

@jetsam I'm not so worried about the windows themselves as privacy... We close soon, but I'm wondering about maybe some blinds in the window thing ( that literally just came to me as I was typing)..

Well, I think it's probably going to be a moot point for you. Either the window will be outside your clearance to combustibles, and you can put whatever window treatment you like in there, or the window will be inside your clearance to combustibles, and now the window jamb and sash themselves are a problem.

I expect that the process of finding a legal stove location will sort out that stuff for you.

Some window manufacturers do offer windows with integral blinds, but I am not crazy about them, as usually getting the blinds precludes most of the high efficiency options for that window.

I see your point... There is an old tile stove and according to the inspection, clearance isn't legit... If I build out the hearth, it's got a 90* bend which I know from reading hundreds of pages isn't good for the BKK... I'll get that pic up later too... So much to think about...

..........take the windows out.....i hate the damn things anyway. bedroom has blackout curtains in it as i used to work shift work, the living room has blinds in it normally closed....pull them and redo the wall.....lol

OK, I'm tapping for now... I tried everything... I'll log in from home in a few hrs... Pics hopefully to come...

Ok, here are the pics.... i was going to use the stove as extra firepower, until there were clearance issues... and the corner i was hoping to put the bkk...
Not my tv, just in the house....just sayin...

Attachments

• IMG_20170107_100222415_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170107_100222415_HDR.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20170107_100642146.jpg
    IMG_20170107_100642146.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 208
Horrible NYC...N.Y. You got that right. But that's not a skyscraper skyline I see out those windows...

nope, its NYS... i haven't been posting since I've moved back into horrible NYC.... But I'll have a place to go up and die eventually!!!

Ok, here are the pics.... i was going to use the stove as extra firepower, until there were clearance issues... and the corner i was hoping to put the bkk...
Not my tv, just in the house....just sayin...
Looks like a porch converted to indoor use. If the stove was installed here would you be able get adequate flue height at this location?

There's a roof overhead, would it make a difference if it doesn't go over the roofline of the second story though??? Over the hundreds of Bk pages I've read I can't remember...

The King will want 15' of 8" flue. As for the 2nd story that would be up to the 10-3-2 rule.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

The 15' shouldn't be a problem... It might be the 9-3-2 though... Don't think it'll quite be 10'...

I'll look at that on my 2 hr commute to work, sigh... I think I remember going an extra 3' to 18' it'll be better, no???