Osage Orange/Hedge Bet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I was supposed go harvest this about a yr ago...and something happened.
So called a good friend of mine (Lumber-Jack). He wants to make a friendly wager that these hedge bottoms I let lay for about a 2 year & a half cannot be cut, without major damage to my chains, chainsaw or ego.

He swears up & down that they have now reached the stage of almost "virtual petrification"...yeah, right!
rolleyes.gif

Here is pic taken the last of Dec 2012...have any of you guys encountered problems cutting or bucking downed Osage Orange after a couple of years or so?
My two saw attack mode consist of an MS390 & Sachs Dolmar 116si both with 20in bars Stihl RSC chain...and of course a couple extra chains! ;)

Thanks
Reg
IMAG0021.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any experience cutting hedge in any form. But, if I had to guess, I'd say it's prolly like dead Black Locust, which I find to be the toughest on my chains. I'm with you, bring a couple extra chains and you should be fine.

Reactions: ReggieT
image.jpg Won't be a problem. I cut up a standing dead hedge tree last summer with no real problems. Probably been dead for ten years or so but still solid as concrete.

Last edited:
I was supposed go harvest this about a yr ago...and something happened.
So called a good friend of mine (Lumber-Jack). He wants to make a friendly wager that these hedge bottoms I let lay for about a 2 year & a half cannot be cut, without major damage to my chains, chainsaw or ego.

He swears up & down that they have now reached the stage of almost "virtual petrification"...yeah, right!
rolleyes.gif

Here is pic taken the last of Dec 2012...have any of you guys encountered problems cutting or bucking downed Osage Orange after a couple of years or so?
My two saw attack mode consist of an MS390 & Sachs Dolmar 116si both with 20in bars Stihl RSC chain...and of course a couple extra chains! ;)

Thanks
Reg
View attachment 160629

Maybe invest in a good chain file Looks pretty tough to me. Dry stuff is the worst

Last edited:
Reggie, Welcome to the Hearth.

That's nice bit of osage, but shouldn't take long to cut.
I haven't noticed any problems when cutting 'petrified' Osage. It's common for portions of an Osage to be dead as depicted Scooter's pics above, even with various states of green wood and deadwood within the same log since it decays slowly. Who knows how long parts of an osage tree might have been dead ?
Use a properly sharpened chain and you'll be fine. Even though Osage is hard, steel is much tougher. The RS chain will dull quicker than RM chain (semi-chisel) in dirty wood. I've noticed more dulling to chain when cutting low on trunks in general irrespective of species.
As dense as osage is, it splits easily. Wear gloves because osage slivers are like steel nails.

Worth the effort, it makes GREAT firewood

View attachment 160630 Won't be a problem. I cut up a standing dead hedge tree last summer with no real problems. Probably been dead for ten years or so but still solid as concrete.
Great job!
Man that stuff burn crazy hot & with it's own fireworks show!:eek:

Reggie, Welcome to the Hearth.

That's nice bit of osage, but shouldn't take long to cut.
I haven't noticed any problems when cutting 'petrified' Osage. It's common for portions of an Osage to be dead as depicted Scooter's pics above, even with various states of green wood and deadwood within the same log since it decays slowly. Who knows how long parts of an osage tree might have been dead ?
Use a properly sharpened chain and you'll be fine. Even though Osage is hard, steel is much tougher. The RS chain will dull quicker than RM chain (semi-chisel) in dirty wood. I've noticed more dulling to chain when cutting low on trunks in general irrespective of species.
As dense as osage is, it splits easily. Wear gloves because osage slivers are like steel nails.

You are correct sir...and thanks for the welcome. I may just grab two extra chains 1 per saw and get them in RM instead of chisel...although I've fallen in love with chisel down through yrs in all but the filthiest of wood.
I split some hedge that I'd stacked awhile back and it was still bright orange/gold inside like fresh cut!
Thanks for the great feedback...quality guys on this site...as opposed to others!;)

That guy is hoping to scare you off. He's what us wood hoarders call a hedgehog. ==c

I have to agree with what was said above. It's not going to be easy, and it won't be nice to your chains, but it will cut.

I've cut downed, dead hedge that had all the sapwood rotted off the heartwood, it was VERY hard wood, but the saw cut it and I burned it...

That being said, it's MUCH preferred to cut it green, it cuts just like any other hardwood when green...

Bring your files with you and you will be fine.

Bring your files with you and you will be fine.
That's a bet...btw...what files are best for chisel & isn't sharpening chisel chain supposed to be a bit more challenging? _g

It depends on your chain which file you use. If you no longer have the original box there are lots of on-line references for chain vs. file size. If you have the box the chain came in, the file size is right on the box. Do not use generic rat tail files, you want a specific size chain saw file. There are lots of how to videos for this.

Reactions: Woody Stover
cutting will be easy, Splitting will be a challenge. looks twisted & crotchy.
You mean to tell me there is hedge that isn't twisted and crotchy?

BTW, I've found hedge to split fairly easy in the timeframe of 3-6 weeks after cutting. When green or when really old and hard it can be tough to split sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.