Osbun 1600 Wood Insert - How to test used Fireplace Insert when not installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carmageddon

Aug 1, 2021
Halifax, Canada
Hi, a neighbor was renovating, and gave away his Oburn 1600 Insert (manual)
I have it on my driveway, pending install, I have reassembled the fire bricks as per the instructions (without the insulation buffers, to rule out the possibility it chokes the exhaust).
I have also tested with the blower running - air intake goes in the bottom, and air comes out on upper side openings.
I also used air compressor and verified the stainless tube in the front is clear of blockages - blowing air from the side, I can feel it coming out of all the tiny holes inside.
You can see it in action (not the best video, my wife was talking, and a little short but shows what happens):

As you can see, as soon as I close the door, the fire starts to run out of oxygen!
I would like to confirm it is fully functional BEFORE I spend 2k on install +liner in my fireplace!
I have the air control at the open position, quoting from manaul:
Keep the air control full open by pulling on it and close the door
As you see, the fire dies.. There is no visibility of the internals mechanism, how to confirm the air valve is ok?
Some people suggest it will only work with the flue liner to create the draft, but how do I confirm its fine, like I said before spending 2k to install it?

The firebox:
PXL_20210731_002006211.jpg
The top stainless steel tube:
PXL_20210731_002034459.jpg
The upper rear:
PXL_20210731_002047896.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have it hooked to a chimney so it will never work right. It sounds like you checked everything that could go wrong. You will also need a full height insulated liner for it as well

You don't have it hooked to a chimney so it will never work right. It sounds like you checked everything that could go wrong. You will also need a full height insulated liner for it as well

So you are saying I have nothing to worry about, nothing further to test and can go ahead with getting it cleaned up and hauled indoors in preparation for installing?

What do you mean by "full height insulated liner"? You mean the stainless steel line going all the way to the top of the chimney? if so that is what I mean by 2k install, its why I wanted to confirm it works before committing to that :)

I've seen people burn off paint fumes from new stoves outside with a 8' pipe on top. Not the 15' or so often required, but workable (for a test) nonetheless.

The stove will be a very different animal with a proper flue system connected to it. Draft is the engine that drives the stove. With an insulated, 6" stainless steel liner that is at least 15' tall and good dry wood, it should perform well. The other thing that makes a big draft difference is the temperature differential between the indoor and outdoor temperatures. That is also missing from a driveway test where those temps are the same.

I heat my entire 1700 sq ft with that exact stove, well maybe a little newer, with no issues. It's located in an exterior fireplace with a 24' run and it cruises right along at 600 STT. I burn about 3-4 cords a year, it's a great little stove. Good luck!

20210607_153606.jpg