Osburn 1800 Baywood question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

back2basics

May 16, 2022
Western WA
Hello,
New member here. I did a search for this model/question and didn't find anything specifically for it.

I used to have a woodstove and do all the "wood stuff" back in 2012. I'm getting ready to move to a new place and will be moving into a 1700 sq ft single story manufactured home. I've found an unused Osburn 1800 Baywood woodstove on Craigslist. Looking at the specs on it, it's rated for up to 1800 sq ft. Would this unit honestly comfortably heat a 1700 sq ft home? Appreciate your feedback.

Matt
Leaving the suburbs for the country - and I can't wait.

That is the old style 1800. It's listed as 1.8 cu ft but actual useable will be more like 1.6. The Bay Wood is an E/W loader with a bay window. In our mild climate it will heat the place ok, with ~ 4-6 hr burn time on average. However, it will require fully seasoned firewood to burn will and at least 12' of flue. If you don't have firewood already, get some doug fir now and stack it top covered.
The manual is here:

The stove can be installed in a manufactured home as long as it is bolted to the floor, has an outside air connection, a proper flue system, and clearance + hearth requirements are honored. A straight-up flue is the best.

That is the old style 1800. It's listed as 1.8 cu ft but actual useable will be more like 1.6. The Bay Wood is an E/W loader with a bay window. In our mild climate it will heat the place ok, with ~ 4-6 hr burn time on average. However, it will require fully seasoned firewood to burn will and at least 12' of flue. If you don't have firewood already, get some doug fir now and stack it top covered.
The manual is here:

The stove can be installed in a manufactured home as long as it is bolted to the floor, has an outside air connection, a proper flue system, and clearance + hearth requirements are honored. A straight-up flue is the best.
Thank you for the reply. I've now located a better option, in my opinion. It's a new stove - an "Empire 2300". It appears to be a Drolet 80 stove with a different name - made by the same manufacturer, SBI International. Have you heard of this?

Yes, the Empire Gateway 2300 is by Flame, another SBI company. It is the kissing cousin of the new Drolet Escape 1800 with a larger and more usable 2.4 cu ft. firebox.

OK - another question. I've come across a Pacific Energy Super 27 that I really like. It is of course more expensive than the Empire Gateway 2300 stove. Looking for thoughts/feedback on the between the two stoves. Is the PESuper27 worth the extra $600?

The Super 27 is an excellent stove. It has a different design firebox that helps extend the burn and reduces maintenance. It's a good fit for this application and an easy breather for homes with shorter flues. That said, the Flame and Drolet equiv. are also easy breathers.

Reactions: back2basics
Osburn 1800 Baywood Wood Stove

I wonder what he went with?

324652541_5990684464315358_375996949095191072_n.jpg