Osburn 2400 Insert Reviews?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick

Jan 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and to wood-buring in general (I've only burned for 1 full season), and I wanted to find out if anyone can offer some thoughts on the Osburn 2400 wood insert. I'm currently burning in a Century insert, but the firebox just isn't big enough to sustain an overnight burn. I'm happy with the unit, just needs to be bigger. I'm interested in the Osburn because it's also made by SBI, and they seem to stand behind their products. The 2400 also has a 3.2 cubic foot firebox, which is very appealing since I won't have to wake up every few hours to add wood to the fire. And finally, cost is a factor, and the 2400 is priced affordably for me. I'm heating a 1500 sq.ft. brick ranch with drafty windows (soon to be updated). Any thoughts on the Osburn or any other inserts would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically trying to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Pete.....I'll check it out. Any personal preferences?

Dafattkidd should be here soon to help you out as he has one. I have the Osburn 2000 insert and I heat 1700 sq ft with an upper level and a basement and It does a good job, I would have gotten the 2400 if it would have fit. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have gone with an insert that has a cat because even though I get good burn times a stove with a cat will get better burn times.

I'd kinda like to have a bigger firebox (the 2200 freestanding is @ 2.2 cu ft). It does a nice job, but every once in a while it would be nice to load it up with a couple big uglies, etc. and let it roll. SBI seems to have a good reputation. I've only contacted them with general questions, etc. (stove had been good - no problems so far) and they've always been prompt and helpful. Like etiger, I'm being drawn to the lure of the cat stove from all the discussions here, and wouldn't mind getting that experience under my belt, but that's for another day. Meanwhile FWIW no regrets on choosing an Osburn EPA stove.

Reactions: etiger2007
Etiger and Bag of Hammers, thanks for the remarks. I'm leaning toward the Osburn, but a few of my buddies rave about their Jotul Rockland 550 and Quadrafire 5100i. Not sure if I want a flush face (Jotul) because I like having more metal in the room to give off heat. As for the Quadrafire, I don't like the side glass panels because all the reviews say that they get black easier than the door glass. Harman has what seems to be a nice, big insert, the 300i. It's more expensive than the Osburn, but everyone I know with a Harman freestanding is extremely satisfied. Any thoughts on those manufacturers? Thanks again for the help.

You're welcome Derrick. I defer to the veterans here for more details on the other stoves (my experience is limited to just 2). All the models you mention just ring a bell from my reading here, but there isn't a unit made that someone here can't give you the skinny on. I will say that the "side glass" thing sounds familiar as the 2200 "side" glass (actually the angled door panels) do get dirtier than the front with normal use, so maybe the Quadrafire has a similar issue? Just guessing, but throwing it in FWIW. Since I've been using the ash trick (courtesy of this forum) to clean the glass, it's pretty much a moot point for me though - takes me all of about 2 minutes to have all the glass crystal clear again. Not sure it that would be more of a pain on the Quadrafire.

Derrick, I do love my Osburn, I just got a good 8 1/2 hour burn out of it. They are priced right too.

Hey Derrick, welcome to the forum. I have the unit and love it. Sounds like you have a similar woodburnimg journey to me. I started out with a 1.7 cf insert which is a good, but undersized for the demands of my very drafty house. When i upgraded to the Oz it was a whole new ball game. Huge difference not only in burn times but heat output. This unit truly if a beast. I really like that it protrudes 9" or so into the room, so it radiates a significant amount of heat. Another thing to note the firebox is actually larger than the listed 3.2 cf. I can get 20" logs in NS no problem.

So I got my insert at www.dynamitebuys.com I had a very good experience and at the time when I was looking they had the lowest prices.

All of that being said, if I had the budget and the opportunity to store three years of wood i would seriously look at a Blaze King Princess insert.

For my budget at the time I cannot see how I could have done better than the Osburn 2400.

Status
Not open for further replies.