Osburn 3300 installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The 3300 looks very similar to the new Lopi Endeavor, so now you have two options. I’d say the Lopi costs a little more and is made slightly better though that is a guess (yet to see a 3300 in person). I do know the Lopi’s are built really heavy (I own a Liberty). Best bang for your buck is still likely the 3300 and if I were buying new I’d likely opt for saving some money. I wouldn’t be afraid of either choice.

Unlike the 3300 that is said to replace the Myriad (used to have a by-pass, which I happen to like), the new Lopi Endeavor still has the by-pass, a taller firebox and door with bigger viewing area. I think both have an ash pan.

Last edited:
The 3300 looks very similar to the new Lopi Endeavor, so now you have two options. I’d say the Lopi costs a little more and is made slightly better though that is a guess (yet to see a 3300 in person). I do know the Lopi’s are built really heavy (I own a Liberty). Best bang for your buck is still likely the 3300 and if I were buying new I’d likely opt for saving some money. I wouldn’t be afraid of either choice.

Unlike the 3300 that is said to replace the Myriad (used to have a by-pass, which I happen to like), the new Lopi Endeavor still has the by-pass, a taller firebox and door with bigger viewing area. I think both have an ash pan.

may I ask what you like about having a bypass / Cat? This hearthstone with a bypass is my first stove so I’m inexperienced with tube stoves.

Reactions: Hoytman
That lopi looks sweet but the firebox is a lot smaller than the 3300.i never use the ash pan except to warm up cinnamon buns.as far as the bypass I got rid of my osburn 2300 as I kept forgetting to close the bypass too often.im old and mind is going.

Does your 3300 have a stainless sheet welded to the underside of the stovetop like some of the smaller SBI models?

Not sure ,you can go to osburns website and lookup parts manual

The Myriad is still in production. The 3300 is in the Osburn line. The Myriad III is in the Drolet line. They are siblings, but the Drolet Legend III is closer in design to the 3300. The Myriad is on a pedestal and has no side shields for a less expensive, more radiant stove. Once you brought it up, I found an error in the Osburn 3300 manual for the glass size which says it is 15.75" x 9.75". That is wrong. It is 15 1/2''W X 12 5/8''H.

The Endeavor NexGen is a step top stove and a sweet update, but it has almost 1 cu ft less capacity. I don't think the firebox is taller, the secondary rack is lower in the Endeavor than the Osburn 3300. Not knocking the stove. I have a fondness for the Endeavor. The pre-2020 version is a good heater and hopefully the NexGen version will be even better.

Marty, what length of wood could you run NS based on actual dimensions? Does and 18" piece fit without being on the inside lip or against the glass?

Just measured,will take 20 no problem,all my wood is cut to 16 .so not too worried about length.

Good to know. I have alot already cut at 20" so that would work. Going forward I may cut some shorter... I will likely to so re-split some though ad I put some pretty big pieces in the Defiant.

The Myriad is still in production. The 3300 is in the Osburn line. The Myriad III is in the Drolet line. They are siblings, but the Drolet Legend III is closer in design to the 3300. The Myriad is on a pedestal and has no side shields for a less expensive, more radiant stove. Once you brought it up, I found an error in the Osburn 3300 manual for the glass size which says it is 15.75" x 9.75". That is wrong. It is 15 1/2''W X 12 5/8''H.

The Endeavor NexGen is a step top stove and a sweet update, but it has almost 1 cu ft less capacity. I don't think the firebox is taller, the secondary rack is lower in the Endeavor than the Osburn 3300. Not knocking the stove. I have a fondness for the Endeavor. The pre-2020 version is a good heater and hopefully the NexGen version will be even better.
The only reason I said Myriad is because I thought someone mentioned it in this thread and I wasn’t going to argue with them about it. I know SBI has two, maybe three lines of stoves that are nearly identical except for trim. I knew the Myriad was in a pedestal, but try typing on a phone all the time. The fire box are close enough.

According to the Lopi video the fire boxes are the same, yet they are not. They did away with bricks above and now use the insulation blanket which allowed them to move the tubes up, as well as make the door(s) taller and the fire boxes taller and door taller, taller glass for viewing. Firebox shape is what I was driving at.
Endeavor

I wouldn’t let flat or step too bother me.

To the other poster... no CAT in the Lopi Endeavor/Liberty. The by-pass helps with cold starts and reloads without smoke, so they claim. It is a feature I wanted, but have yet to use my used stove I bought. Full disclosure.

I was going to by a meeting Myriad 3, but they did away with the by-pass and I felt it was a good option for a stove and didn’t like that they left it out on the new model. Also, I’ve seen two new Myriad 2 stoves that had wobbly doors that concerned me, which is why I have wanted to see newer Osburn models. I did find a few new Myriad 2’s at the time I was looking that had good solid doors with zero wobble, but they were not on sale, so I backed away.

Sbi also makes a stove called enerzone,my dealer sells them and I looked at buying one but door opens on wrong side for me, he gave me a great trade in price for my 2300 as well so I bought 5he 3300.

Well I have a small break in fire going this morning and this 3300 drafts so much better then the 2300 it replaced.in fact at 50° outside no smoke rollout whatsoever.very impressed with this unit and should be a good winter burning this unit

Attachments

• 20210706_094543.mp4
    12.2 MB
Reactions: begreen
I got a Myriad before last winter. Very happy with its performance. You will be happy with the 3300.

I just put a 3300 on order. Should be here in the next couple weeks. Again, I have been running a defiant with secondary combustion and a bypass damper to change the flame path. That stove can run wild if not properly operated. Not knowing how modern stoves specifically behave, is there a chance that this stove can run wild also? Would you recommend putting a stove pipe damper in to start or see how she runs? Most stoves don't require a stove pipe damper, unless there is excessive draft from my understanding.

As the operator, you control the burn cycle. Try partial loads at first so that you get comfortable with how the stove burns with your firewood. One of the key things with a full load of dry wood is turning down the air soon enough. If the air is left wide open too long, a full load of wood is going to outgas strongly. That is going to lead to a hot stove. Knowing the flue temperature is a good way to know how the fire is doing and when to start closing down the air.

I just put a 3300 on order. Should be here in the next couple weeks. Again, I have been running a defiant with secondary combustion and a bypass damper to change the flame path. That stove can run wild if not properly operated. Not knowing how modern stoves specifically behave, is there a chance that this stove can run wild also? Would you recommend putting a stove pipe damper in to start or see how she runs? Most stoves don't require a stove pipe damper, unless there is excessive draft from my understanding.
One thing you might want to check out when you get your stove is the air control cover.it has 2 holes on each side to bolt to the stove .why 2 I don't know as it weighs nothing.anyways I noticed with mine that if you line up the bolt holes to mount the cover the air control goes way past being closed so you don't know where you are when you want to open the air just a little. What I did is just moved the cover forward and used 1 bolt on each side .now when you close the air control it is right at closed.mentioned this to sbi but never got a reply.hope I made sense lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Marty, it doesn't make sense yet, but it probably will when I get my eyes on it. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a key damper isn't necessary then for starters.

Thanks for the info. Marty, it doesn't make sense yet, but it probably will when I get my eyes on it. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a key damper isn't necessary then for starters.
Give me a heads up when you get your stove and I will walk you through it

Well I finally got over to the stove shop and picked up the 3300 and got it into the general area after moving the defiant out. Next step, read install instructions. Trying to figure out best way to attach legs, dealer said to take the firebrick out and lay it down. Is that what you did Marty? Also, what was the fan you had on your stove in the break in fire video? Look alot stronger than an eco fan whatever it was.

I bought the fan from Amazon.they do not move much air.yes take the bricks out and lay it on its back to install legs.easy,peasy.before you install the cover that goes over the air control do not use all 4 bolts.move it to the forward position otherwise your air control goes way past the closed position,there are also 5 different sizes of bricks ,the chart for where there go is in the owners manual,just measure them,any issues or questions you can pm me.

Last edited:
Thanks Marty. I still need to setup the stove but am curious about the operation of this stove or newer non-cat stoves in general as I am sure the operation is quite different than my 40 year old defiant. I know there are lots of variables, but once the stove is lit and up to temp, it appears from research that the firebox is loaded fully upon a reload. Just looking for some general guidance as a modern stove is new technology to me.

First big fire with the 3300 today,I'm impressed.will post a review once it gets cold enough for overnight burns

20211017_064230.jpg