Osburn air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
2300 model and shutting the air down an night for a overnight burn I think it is burning too fast.okay to cover this quater size hole with some metal tape to slow the burn down

Attachments

• 20201118_112718.jpg
    20201118_112718.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 107
First try closing down the air much sooner to see how that extends the burn. The stove should not smolder or smother the flame completely.

2300 model and shutting the air down an night for a overnight burn I think it is burning too fast.okay to cover this quater size hole with some metal tape to slow the burn down
How tall is your chimney

5 ft of double wall and 9 ft supervent

5 ft of double wall and 9 ft supervent
That is not very tall you should not have excessive draft. What temps are you seeing both pipe and stovetop? When do you start to shut back?

Shut back at 350 stove top.its getting too much air.with tape over this hole there seems to be adequate air .

Shut back at 350 stove top.its getting too much air.with tape over this hole there seems to be adequate air .
What temps does the stove run at once shut back?

I have this stove and more than 30 feet of triple wall going outside.

On a full load, I take the air intake down to about half at 450 and then down to just a tick off of fully “closed” (it never actually completely dampers) somewhere between 550 and 600. It cruises at 600 to 500 for a long time like that.

All that to say that I’d expect I have stronger draft and don’t need to shut the air intake all the way down (and don’t need to close off the primary or secondary air).

I still have a stove at 300 to 250 after 12 hours. It certainly lasts for an overnight.

For overnight burns, I shut the air intake down to the point where it whistles a little bit.

I hope that rambling is useful to you.

I would not change the stove. Stovetop temp is a lagging indicator. It takes time to move the temp of the stove body. Try closing down the air sooner based on flue gas temp or at least based on a visual appraisal of the fire.

In the top of the picture I posted the air intake is closed and you can see at the top there is still a gap that lets a fair amount of air .just saying.

In the top of the picture I posted the air intake is closed and you can see at the top there is still a gap that lets a fair amount of air .just saying.
True with all modern EPA stoves. That is to prevent smoldering the fire.

Reactions: marty319
It doesn't look like the draft blade is closing all the way. I'm comparing it to a drolet BalticII. Mine looks identical to that one. Also I think this stove has a top heat shield so the STT are about 100deg lower so 350 is around 450. 350 to 450 is a good cruising temp.

It doesn't look like the draft blade is closing all the way. I'm comparing it to a drolet BalticII. Mine looks identical to that one. Also I think this stove has a top heat shield so the STT are about 100deg lower so 350 is around 450. 350 to 450 is a good cruising temp.
It does not close all the way that's why I thought plugging that hole would slow the low burn down a little but not smoother the flames.i will experiment with a full load when it gets colder and report back

You might want to check with Osburn and verify that it's in the closed position. Drolet and Osburn have their similarities but I would make sure first. Mine closes all the way so air can only go through the round hole and the half moon hole.

You might want to check with Osburn and verify that it's in the closed position. Drolet and Osburn have their similarities but I would make sure first. Mine closes all the way so air can only go through the round hole and the half moon hole.
Thanks for the info.for some reason mine was slightly bent and not closing as in the first picture.got her straightened out and just the half moon and hole now.cheers

20201121_173934.jpg

Last edited:
That definitely will make a difference. Good fix.

Talked to sbi tech support and the air intake was not closing all the way.mine is bent.getting a new one.picture shows what it should be like.

Attachments

• Image_2020-11-25_08-13-26.png
    Image_2020-11-25_08-13-26.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: begreen