Osburn insert and Bio Bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NiftyB

Aug 31, 2020
Southern New England
I have an Osburn 2000 insert and now that I have burned for a full season, I've determined that I'll need 4.5 cords of wood per season (I heat almost exclusively with the stove). I live in a residential area with a not-huge yard, so I don't have the space to stack and season many years worth of wood. But I do have just under 4 "seasoned" cords (because I used some this spring) stacked and ready for fall. I can't get just a half cord delivered, and I'm not keen to get another whole cord to stack and store (and fill up the yard).

I'm wondering if:

A. it's okay to burn BioBricks (or something similar?) in my Osburn insert, and

B. if it's okay to burn them, maybe getting some BioBricks (which I can store up off the deck in my basement) is a reasonable solution to my 1/2 cord short fall.

Is this a dumb idea?

Thanks!

I burn them in the fall or as we say the shoulder season. Good clean burn

Thank you!

I'm in southern New England, and it seems there are no dealers for Northern Idaho Energy Logs or Homefire Prest-Logs near me. Any other recommendations of something good to try, that I can find around here? Also, any idea if the prices ever go down? Like, do you save money if you buy in the off season?

I used 10 packs of the tractor supply 6 six to a pack redstone brand bricks. I mixed them in. I Mixed at most 3 at a time in with my splits. I liked them. They have to be stored in doors.

Pine and tulip poplar can dry in a summer if the stacks get some sun and air. I like burning both. Our yellow pine burns fast but really hot. Poplar fast but not as hot. Short burn times is the trade off for fast drying. I’m thinking about an 8’ high woodshed. And wondering if it could become a privacy fence. If it looked ok.

The NEILs have a really good reputation.

Thank you!

I'm in southern New England, and it seems there are no dealers for Northern Idaho Energy Logs or Homefire Prest-Logs near me. Any other recommendations of something good to try, that I can find around here? Also, any idea if the prices ever go down? Like, do you save money if you buy in the off season?
They are sold out of Leonminster, MA.

You'll have to ask around to see what is sold closer. It looks like BioBricks are sold here:
Westerly Agway
31 Friendship St.
Westerly, Rhode Island 02891

401-596-5059

Is there a Tractor Supply Store close by? They sell a compressed sawdust brick.

You can get them in CT, these guys sell enviro bricks and the Northern Idaho Energy Logs.

i bought from them, good company. i think they deliver by pallet , which is equal to 1 cord of hardwood in btus. might not be worse to pay for delivery of just one pallet. i liked to burn biobricks better than wood. if i had to buy wood i'd go with biobricks if price was equal btu-wise.