Osburn Matrix 2700 thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenHills

Feb 8, 2022
Tennessee
Has anyone found a good solution for a stove top thermometer for the Osburn Matrix 2700? https://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/products/wood-inserts/matrix-2700-wood-insert/ It's a beautiful insert, but with no exposed top and rounded front, I haven't found a good way to get a temperature reading. For now I am using a little infrared thermometer and reading between the top of the door and the blower vent, but I wasn't sure how these numbers would compare to a STT. As a new wood burner, I am still struggling to know when I am doing something right, don't have a large enough fire, and worry about overfiring.

Thanks

Can you pull back your surround and install an Auber probe? Typically they’re used for flue temperature, but they do make one that mounts to the surface of a pipe, you could probably mount that on the top of your insert.