Oslo 500 owners or anyone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
My Oslo air intake control isn't as smooth as it used to be...it's almost as tho there's movement resistance towards the low air side where it sits most of the time. Do ya'll lube it...or does it have to be cleaned out? If it does either way...is it much of a task?

There are bolts to unscrew on the "doghouse" at the front center of the inside of your stove. This will let you see the workings of the air control. You can clean it if needed, and add some graphite powder to smooth things out once again.

One thing other than the fact that they have so much slope in the controles is that when you clean out the ashes or go to stickin a poker or new wood in there is to close the controlle down all the way so you aint shovin shut into the doghouse. When you get done fiddlin around inside the farbox and reload then open up the lever. Just my limited exsperiance. Take it for what it's worth,

Common issue . . . as Schortie mentioned when the stove is cool or at least cooler . . . take the two bolts out and remove the dog house . . . you may want to try vacuuming it out . . . but at the very least apply some graphite powder on the sliding mechanism . . . if things go the way they should it should be a 10 minute job and the air control will slide like butter in a hot frying pan.

On a side note, I have noticed something interesting since using my Ash Vac to clean off the ash lip . . . I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not, but it used to be that at least once, sometimes twice, a season I would have to apply the graphite powder to the slide mechanism. Since using the Ash Vac to do the cleaning around the stove and hearth I don't have any issues . . . which makes me think that a small amount of ash gets into the air control mechanism over time and is what gums up the works.

One thing other than the fact that they have so much slope in the controles is that when you clean out the ashes or go to stickin a poker or new wood in there is to close the controlle down all the way so you aint shovin shut into the doghouse. When you get done fiddlin around inside the farbox and reload then open up the lever. Just my limited exsperiance. Take it for what it's worth,
Makes sense butcher...thanks for the advice

Common issue . . . as Schortie mentioned when the stove is cool or at least cooler . . . take the two bolts out and remove the dog house . . . you may want to try vacuuming it out . . . but at the very least apply some graphite powder on the sliding mechanism . . . if things go the way they should it should be a 10 minute job and the air control will slide like butter in a hot frying pan.

On a side note, I have noticed something interesting since using my Ash Vac to clean off the ash lip . . . I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not, but it used to be that at least once, sometimes twice, a season I would have to apply the graphite powder to the slide mechanism. Since using the Ash Vac to do the cleaning around the stove and hearth I don't have any issues . . . which makes me think that a small amount of ash gets into the air control mechanism over time and is what gums up the works.
I will keep an eye on that also...thanks so very much! Happy New Year to ya'll. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.