Oslo hearth question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I can't seem to find the info in the owner's manual so maybe the gurus here can assist:

We will be doing a hearthmount with the Jotul Oslo. Specs say 16" clearance from the front. Our hearth is about 17" deep x 8' wide and raised 10" off the hardwood floor.

Question: Can we do just an ember protection on the floor or is something more required? (Dealer checked with manufacturer and got no recommendation.)

Shari

At that hearth height, I think you'll be fine with ember protection. You could make it a bit more robust by cutting out the hardwoood flooring in the extension area and screwing 1/2" cement board to the sub-floor then tiling that.

I would say this might depend on the AHJ . . . in this case the Insurance Agent and Fire Inspector's opinions.

firefighterjake said:
I would say this might depend on the AHJ . . . in this case the Insurance Agent and Fire Inspector's opinions.

What is AHJ, Jake?

Shari

Shari said:
firefighterjake said:

What is AHJ, Jake?

Shari

Authority Having Jurisdiction.
Local building code enforcement or inspector or fire marshall...

Gotcha!

Shari

Okay, Shari, I have a really dumb, stupid, poorly phrased question for you: Every member wants to know why didn't you call her "Ossie"?

At my age, this is the best I can do!

Best,

John_M

John_M said:
Okay, Shari, I have a really dumb, stupid, poorly phrased question for you: Every member wants to know why didn't you call her "Ossie"?

At my age, this is the best I can do!

Best,

John_M

Simple answer:

Because "Ozzie" was my father's nickname. My late father brought me years of warmth and comfort - my Oslo will also. :)

Now my log splitter is named "Huey" wherein he should really be named "Baby Huey" because he's short & small. I might have to look into a name change there...

I don't have a name for my Stihl chainsaw - yet. Any suggestions?

Shari

Shari said:
I can't seem to find the info in the owner's manual so maybe the gurus here can assist:

We will be doing a hearthmount with the Jotul Oslo. Specs say 16" clearance from the front. Our hearth is about 17" deep x 8' wide and raised 10" off the hardwood floor.

Question: Can we do just an ember protection on the floor or is something more required? (Dealer checked with manufacturer and got no recommendation.)

Shari

When you say your hearth is 17 inches deep, do you mean you have 17 inches out in front of your stove?

Cuz if that is the case, you're not too much different than I. Now, if your heart is a TOTAL of 17 inches deep, and you are saying you have but one inch in front of your stove, that's a no no.

My hearth is about 5 inches high, I have 20 inches out in front, and hardwood floor beyond that.

You will love a high and deep hearth. One you can sit
on, as you load the stove from the side door.

Sounds great so far!

ansehnlich1 said:
Now, if your heart is a TOTAL of 17 inches deep, and you are saying you have but one inch in front of your stove, that's a no no.

Yup, 17 or 18 inches (it's stone so it is irregular). I know from this list that's a no-no. The installation manual doesn't take into account a raised hearth so they are silent on whether or not we can just put the r or k values needed directly on the floor, below the surface of the existing raised hearth.

I went to the city inspection department today to get some guidance. They were not much help - suggestion was a hearth rug. Personally, I don't trust rugs like that. Yes, I know, others on this list have them but they are not for me.

We can't extend the existing hearth because it is irregular stone 2" +/- thick and has a rough stone top. What I'm thinking now is building a 'step-down' hearth out about 20" and shove it back under the 2" overhang of the existing hearth. Has anyone done a 'step-down' like this? If so, got any photos you could share?

I'm not comfortable just adding a 2" or 4" hearth pad to the wood floor in front of the stove. Hubby doesn't have the best balance and I can just see him tripping and falling into the stove if we mounted a 2" or 4" hearth pad type of thing.

Shari

Shari, Your decision not to put a rug in front of the hearth is a good one-for the reason you mentioned. I have a carpet on the hardwod floor in front of the 12" elevated hearth and it will frequently move when I step on it while using my walker. This creates a balance problem for me. The walker helps a lot. I could place non-skid strips under the carpet but this introduces inconvenience to moving the carpet.

I would suggest "Gort" or "Sara" for your Stihl. Just plain "Gort" sounds better than "Gort Stihl". However, "Sara" doesn't sound as nice as "Sara Stihl". Decisions, decisions!

Best Wishes to you and your recovering hubby.

John_M

Assuming your current flooring in front of your current hearth is combustible, the problem with a hearth rug or hearth pad is the gap that would exist between it and your current raised hearth, that is definitely not meeting code, as embers could fall between and settle on the combustible flooring.

So you need to construct some type of continuous fireproof/masonry extension to provide for the 16 inch requirement in front of the stove.

Now, as for whether that lower extension must meet required "r value" I am uncertain, so, if it were me I would air on the side of caution and ensure that it does.

ansehnlich1 said:
Assuming your current flooring in front of your current hearth is combustible, the problem with a hearth rug or hearth pad is the gap that would exist between it and your current raised hearth, that is definitely not meeting code, as embers could fall between and settle on the combustible flooring.

So you need to construct some type of continuous fireproof/masonry extension to provide for the 16 inch requirement in front of the stove.

Now, as for whether that lower extension must meet required "r value" I am uncertain, so, if it were me I would air on the side of caution and ensure that it does.

Hubby and I will be going to HD or Menards today to get some metal 2x4 studs, durock, plywood, etc. Wish us luck!

Shari

Oslo requires no r-value, just ember protection - there have been lots of posts about this. Good luck

CarbonNeutral said:
Oslo requires no r-value, just ember protection - there have been lots of posts about this. Good luck

That is my findings also by reading the manual but I did just find an interesting item on page 8 - regarding an alcove installation they state "If a listed (UL/ULC) hearth board is not used the hearth that is constructed must have a minimum r value of 1.6". Point is it's interesting they require an r value for alcove but only ember protection for any other install.

Shari

Vallhala,

Nope - not yet. We did confirm with the building inspection department that they would accept simply ember protection as per the Oslo manual. We are now in process of trying to locate "honed slate" tiles to attempt to come close to what we have in our foyer which is adjancent to the fireplace. Also, still waiting for pipe insulation to arrive at the dealer.

Shari

Shari said:
Vallhala,

Nope - not yet. We did confirm with the building inspection department that they would accept simply ember protection as per the Oslo manual. We are now in process of trying to locate "honed slate" tiles to attempt to come close to what we have in our foyer which is adjancent to the fireplace. Also, still waiting for pipe insulation to arrive at the dealer.

Shari
]
I got some from my local tile place - it's a chain, but I don't think any are out your way: http://www.cassastone.com/ - they may ship. In the perfect picture forum I have some posts of my finished honed slate hearth.

I think you should name your Stihl Luke. As in cool hand Luke, as in Paul Newman's Steel Blue eyes. Get it, Stihl, blue?

This delay in installation is killing me! We have had the chimney cleaned in anticipation of the install so I really don't want to fire up the fireplace while we wait for the pipe insulation to arrive. I have painted the firebox in the fireplace and am working on cleaning the stone face of the fireplace. The only saving grace in this delay is we have had some fairly mild weather the last week or so but cold weather is coming again. We did get a fuel oil delivery this week which I figure shows at least a $150 savings since mid-December by almost constant use of the fireplace w/blower. On the 'good' side of things, the wood pile continues to 'season'!

Shari

Shari,

I got your message and I will try to post pictures tonight. I have a similar installation. Stove sits on the hearth out in front of the fire place with only a inch or two of hearth. Hearth is 12" above the hard wood. I made a 62" x 18" hearth extension out of 3/4" plywood and four 18" x 18" ceramic tile. I attached trim around the three sides that face the room. It does not have the extra R value of durarock, but it does not get exposed to significant temps. So it basically serves as ember protection. I do all my loading through the side door and have not add any embers actually get out on the extension. I went with the 62" because it basically matches up with the width of the hearth.

The ceramic tile are not grouted or cemented to the plywood as this was a prototype that I was testing. I have a crack in one of the tile, I think from dropping a split or tool on it. So I am considering going with slate, marble, or stone to get better durability. Besides this issue, the other issue is that it can be a tripping hazard because it sticks up above the wood floor by about 1.25". So far I have only stubbed my toe once, and I am pretty careful to either completely step on to the extension or not step onto it.

The more professional way is to cut out the hardwood floor and install the tile/stone so that it is flush with the hardwood. But the wife is not sure about permanently altering the floor and likes the idea of removing the hearth extension from April to October. So we have what we have.

Congrats on your new purchase, I know the excitement. One other thing that I did is to insulate and put a heat shield in the back of my exterior masonry fireplace. I am glad I did as I am amazed at how hot it gets behind the stove, ie 175 - 200 F. No sense letting that heat go through the bricks. We use a small circulating fan to blow air behind the stove back out into the room.

We are loving our Oslo, but as many warned me, they love dry, well seasoned wood. Some of my wood was marginal 22 -25% mc this year. I already have 3 cords semi seasoned wood for next year so I learned the importance of dry wood. When it is dry, it is much easier.

Here are the pictures of my hearth extention made out of 3/4" plywood, (4) 18x18" ceramic tiles, trimmed on three sides. Overall dimensions are appr. 64" x 19"

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 010-1.jpg
    Picture 010-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 236
GE,

Nice clean looking install! Thanks so much for the photos!

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.