Other Uses for Your Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's a Drolet 1800i, which is made by the same parent company (SBI) as your stove. Drolet is their "budget" line, but I wouldn't be surprised if some parts and components were shared across the different lines.

Oh yeah I'm sure they are. Toyota vs Lexus.

Stoves are certainly not very popular in our part of Texas (we're northwest of San Antonio)... It was horrible for many, and there will be many long-lasting effects.
It sure did look like a horrible situation, most everyone was probably just not prepared to deal with something like that. Justifiable because it was very unlikely. If anything good can come out of it, maybe an improvement with the power grid.

Glad you had a stove - and I frequently hang my coat near the stove after coming in to take a break from splitting wood.

Any chance you could start a new thread on cooking pizza in the wood stove? Looks awesome. I’m way into making pizza in oven and bbq and cast iron. Would love some tips / pics on the finer points of doing it in the wood stove.

I talked a little about it here. It’s not a wood fired oven. Opening the door cools it off too much to really cook more than 3. I have taken the from the oven to the hot cast lid to crisp up the bottom and give them some Smokey flavor. Everyone gets to make their own 12” pie. Cooking 6 at a time is challenging. Would love a real wood fired oven. Been thinking about it. Juggling to may projects right now. It’s on the list.

20160114_083418_zps5ixcwzrv.jpg

Roasting chicken...

Earlier in the thread I mentioned doing sweet potatoes in the stove. We had a big snowstorm today, so to treat ourselves after a day of moving snow I did a sweet potato. It turned out perfectly.

CD13F20D-6A82-4773-BAC8-C1B688192CAC.jpeg

Reactions: Prof
Earlier in the thread I mentioned doing sweet potatoes in the stove. We had a big snowstorm today, so to treat ourselves after a day of moving snow I did a sweet potato. It turned out perfectly.

View attachment 275631

I never liked sweet potatoes until I started cooking them in a similar way. Now I get Japanese sweet potatoes any time I can.

Do you guys just wrap the potatoes in foil and toss them on the coals? I might give that a whirl tonight.

Do you guys just wrap the potatoes in foil and toss them on the coals? I might give that a whirl tonight.
I wrap them in newspaper and then soak them in water and then warp them in foil. I wait until the stove is down to the coaling stage, about an hour before I would reload. For big sweet potatoes I try to turn them every 15 minutes.

Reactions: begreen
Sweet! (potatoes) - they look great. I wonder what's the difference with Japanese sweet potatoes?

Last Sunday instead of turning on another electric burner I cooked carrots in a pot on the stove for a few hours before the meal. Might as well make good use of the heat on the top.

Meatloaf balls with smoked Colby jack.

Attachments

• 20210301_014804.jpg
    20210301_014804.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: FixerUpper
Holy smokes I never imagined these great things being the product of a wood stove! And here I thought all you could cook with them was chili and stews! Nice touch with the cheese.

If you have a dutch oven of some sort that fits in the stove you can do a lot.

Reactions: Stelcom66
New York strip anyone? And yes, they were amazing.

Attachments

• 4285AD3E-7A1A-4EC0-81A2-EC47696ED836.jpeg
    4285AD3E-7A1A-4EC0-81A2-EC47696ED836.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 1016F355-593D-40C9-84FA-4EAC83FCD4BF.jpeg
    1016F355-593D-40C9-84FA-4EAC83FCD4BF.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 8FE45383-B7D7-4042-B151-39F64AAAE12D.jpeg
    8FE45383-B7D7-4042-B151-39F64AAAE12D.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 88
Yum!!!

Kind of like indoor grilling. Are the grates from an outdoor grill? I should get a dutch oven but it appears it would be easy to rig up something as shown.

Yes the grate is from the grill outside. We were out in the woods during the day because it was less windy than at the cabin. By time we decided to head in for dinner I was to lazy to fight the cold out at the grill. So I decided to take the grill to the indoors. The woodstove was at a perfect point just before a reload so I took advantage of the coals. The steaks turned out primo.