Out of left field - can you burn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KingsxCanada

Nov 15, 2015
Canada
I wasn't sure if this should go in the wood shed forum or here, so if not here, please accept my apologies.

Can you burn dried corn cobs in a typical wood appliance? I'm not going to (not sure where I'd get enough anyway), but I was reading this article about BTU's per weight/volume etc of various fuels, and corn cobs were on the list. I know you can burn anything organic essentially, but I found it interesting that this was on the list.

Burning corn creates a corrosive acid. The pellet guys need special chimney to withstand it.

Reactions: JimBear
Oh that's interesting. I know people that smoke meat with corn cobs all the time. Seems somewhat common. I've even had meat smoked with corn cobs, and it was good.