Out with the Old in with the New. Froling Install.

huffdawg Posted By huffdawg, Jul 13, 2016 at 8:04 PM

1. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    003eb3604f59082e48b6c8c79b9d3381.jpg

Gasifier and __dan like this.
  2. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    First fire. Lit small one with the ignition door open to cure refractory

3. Nofossil

Nofossil
    Moderator Emeritus 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2007
    Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Congratulations on first fire.

That's first-class hardware. We've had good luck with Froling sites, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I'm not sure we have any (before yours) with their latest controller, but we've been able to coordinate well with the Frolings we've seen.

For instance, we have a site with the P4 pellet boiler, multiple buildings, and a ton of solar hot water panels. During summertime, we only use the Froling to charge the top half of storage so that there's cool water left for the solar panels to heat. In the winter, we charge all the way to the bottom to reduce the number of pellet boiler cycles. We'll likely add more rules based on time of day and forecast data.

Looks like you're pretty near ready for the 'opposed circulator' rules - just let me know.

Gasifier likes this.
  4. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Yes I'm ready but I/m heading out on a 2 week hunting trip.. Im just going to let the wife run it with out storage invoved for now . thanx NoFo.

5. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    Likely to be totally satisfactory but unless I misunderstand what you said, a word of caution: the Froling needs a place to send its btus, and storage is that place. The Froling should not be operated in a way that sends it into idle.

6. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    The wife will just be using the buffer tank capacity which is 150 gals,. She'll just be lighting small batch burns.. no slumbering I hope .

7. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Any update on your first heating season? I'm considering a Froling with 820 gal storage. Any bits off advice?

Sounds like you are using a different Control system than the BLT controller they provide..?

Gasifier likes this.
  8. Gasifier

Gasifier
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 25, 2011
    Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Yes. How do you like the Froling so far?

9. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Sorry I haven't been on here too much lately, out getting wood and enjoying the nice weather The Froling has been awesome . Burn less wood ,approx. 25% less. Can handle wood much larger than my EKO 40 without bridging and losing gasification.. Very easy to start and user friendly , I don't cut kindling I start with full size pieces. Very little smoke on startup compared to the eko and virtually no smoke inside my boiler room now.. Also no bypass damper which in my opinion is safer ( wife cant leave open).

The Vesta controller controls everything except the boiler, the Boiler controller is functional but only for boiler operation , I ran the two sensors from the boiler to the top and bottom wells in the buffer tank and the boiler decides what it needs to do from those parameters, the o2 censor and the boiler water temp sensor. Once the buffer tank gets hot enough the vesta tells the pumps where to send the heated water to.

I would definitely recommend the Froling, I wish I had bought one initially would have saved me a lot of time and money

Gasifier likes this.
  10. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Time to start a new hobby

huffdawg likes this.
  11. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    I'm happy to report that I have joined the Froling crowd. I put a down payment on a FHGL 20/30 and will be getting a 820 gal solartechnics tank. I look forward to putting it together for this coming heating season. I will start my own thread when I start the construction.

Chris Hoskin and Highbeam like this.
  12. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Congrats . I luv New boiler and system builds.. can hardly wait.