Outdoor DIY fireplace chimney/smoke issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjsherrill

May 29, 2022
Seattle, WA
I have built a "functional" outdoor fireplace. I am planning on stucco'ing it this summer but before I get there, I have smoke issues.

A few notes:
  • ignore the flagstone
  • I am planning on fire bricking the entire inside
  • From memory the opening is 36X24 and I have a 3' 6" chimney coming out the center back.
When I light this up, it works, and if the wood is dry and burns hot the thing works great, but when starting and early on it dumps smoke out the front.

What can I do to help the chimney work better?

front.jpgchimney openning.jpgchimney.jpg

Is that an 8" stove pipe? If so, it is about 50 sq in a ratio to the fireplace opening of 864 sq in. or about 17:1. It should be more like 10:1. Some additional height would also help.

Is that an 8" stove pipe? If so, it is about 50 sq in a ratio to the fireplace opening of 864 sq in. or about 17:1. It should be more like 10:1. Some additional height would also help.
So should I go down to a 6" and add a foot or two on top? Should I tape the seams or anything else to set it air tight?

Trying to nail this stuff down before I stucco.

Going down in flue size is the wrong direction. The flue should be roughly 86 sq in area. A 10" or 12" flue would be better together with some additional height.

You also dont have any rise above the lintel. You need to do some research on fireplace design and rework it

As bholler noted, the smoke chamber is also important.
Here are some outdoor fireplace plans for inspiration.
and here are step-by-step plans for building one out of roman stones to compliment the surrounding walls.

Following up on this I had a question: do I need a chimney pipe or could I just use the stone that I have already put in? I could make it taller pretty easily.

Following up on this I had a question: do I need a chimney pipe or could I just use the stone that I have already put in? I could make it taller pretty easily.
You need some sort of suitable liner. Than can be stainless steel clay liners firebrick cast liner etc. But no cement block is not suitable. I also see potential structural issues that looks like thin pavers laid without any running bond. And really no smoke chamber at all.

You need some sort of suitable liner. Than can be stainless steel clay liners firebrick cast liner etc. But no cement block is not suitable. I also see potential structural issues that looks like thin pavers laid without any running bond. And really no smoke chamber at all.
Ok, fair enough. Having a hard time finding a 12" clay liner. Anywhere I can buy one online and have it shipped?

I'll review the structure. It's not too hard to change now. Can you help me understand what a smoke chamber is?

Yes, and yes, though there are good masonry supply houses that should have 12" clay flue tiles and even that is not really necessary for an outdoor fireplace. The 12" sq. flue could be formed with brick walls too.

For flue tiles, try Salmon Bay in Ballard.

Last edited:
Fireplaces need very specific dimension ratio's to draft. I guess you could build a firebox inside of what you have. But if the material is bad maybe starting over is easier. I assume you can buy a firebox and build around it.

Hopefully, the paver fireplace was just a prototype for practice and a better design will follow.

Fireplaces need very specific dimension ratio's to draft. I guess you could build a firebox inside of what you have. But if the material is bad maybe starting over is easier. I assume you can buy a firebox and build around it.
The material of the base and firebox structure looks ok. But it needs a proper smoke chamber built and then a chimney that is structurally sound

The material of the base and firebox structure looks ok. But it needs a proper smoke chamber built and then a chimney that is structurally sound
Will the paver interior wall crack and spall quickly? I was thinking it should have a firebrick layer for the actual firebox.

Will the paver interior wall crack and spall quickly? I was thinking it should have a firebrick layer for the actual firebox.
Yes it needs an actual firebox inside that structure made of firebrick