Outdoor Fireplace/Grill with warmer oven

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James0816

Nov 13, 2006
hello, i am new here and looking for much wanted information. I have begun work to create an outdoor entertainment area (finally) and have big plans for this space. One of which is that I would like to build a fireplace/box (not really sure what it would be classified as) which would also have one maybe two (one on each side) warmer areas. The fireplace would also be used as a grill. I'm old school and would much rather cook on wood instead of gas. So what I am looking for is any information that one might be able to provide in constructing such a unit. I have a lot of brick left over from house construction already but know I will need much more to pull this off.

The fireplace/grill combo won't be too entirely difficult (at least i don't think so or hope not) as the grating will on top of the fireplace. I may have to build some sort of riser to bring the fire closer to the cooking surface when used as a grill but not sure.

The warmer(s) are the catch. I would like to have an area on one side or maybe both that would be able to keep the food warm and such and have it right at about the same height as the cooking surface. I don't want it to get too hot so as to wind up scorching the food that it should be keeping warm.

Did a ramble on too much or confuse anyone? I hope I supplied enough information to get started on and look forward in hearing back from the vast knowledge out here.

Thx,
Jim

I'm thinking about something similar to this. I'm going for a 60's or 70's style backyard brick bbq, hopefully incorporating a pizza oven either above the pit or next to it. I asked about it on this forum and got a bunch of replies. Search "pizza oven" and you're sure to find it.

Oh yeah... welcome.

Another quick question on this topic....even though this is an outside application, i should still use firebricks to line the fire pit and warmer areas?

I'm researching the firebrick now...do they retain heat better than standard brick?

more than likely will be mortared so as to not allow any type of smoke leaks and such to the other areas of the unit.

James0816 said:
hello, i am new here and looking for much wanted information. I have begun work to create an outdoor entertainment area (finally) and have big plans for this space. One of which is that I would like to build a fireplace/box (not really sure what it would be classified as) which would also have one maybe two (one on each side) warmer areas. The fireplace would also be used as a grill. I'm old school and would much rather cook on wood instead of gas. So what I am looking for is any information that one might be able to provide in constructing such a unit. I have a lot of brick left over from house construction already but know I will need much more to pull this off.

The fireplace/grill combo won't be too entirely difficult (at least i don't think so or hope not) as the grating will on top of the fireplace. I may have to build some sort of riser to bring the fire closer to the cooking surface when used as a grill but not sure.

The warmer(s) are the catch. I would like to have an area on one side or maybe both that would be able to keep the food warm and such and have it right at about the same height as the cooking surface. I don't want it to get too hot so as to wind up scorching the food that it should be keeping warm.

Did a ramble on too much or confuse anyone? I hope I supplied enough information to get started on and look forward in hearing back from the vast knowledge out here.

Thx,
Jim

Try this link. http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm
I built a grill / fire pit but not an oven.
I just place a large copper tub over the grill if I want to roast or bake
it works great.

homefire said:
Try this link. http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm
I built a grill / fire pit but not an oven.
I just place a large copper tub over the grill if I want to roast or bake
it works great.

I don't suppose you have any pics of this do you? I've looked around and only found pictures of brick grills. What I am curious over is being that it will be a fireplace/grill combo, the front will be open. Curious as to how that will be while using it as a grill. would that make the person cooking too close to the fire? not sure. Then I come to the issue of height of the grill from the flame. again it is a fireplace so the fire is of course at the bottom. I guess the heat would be enough to reach the grill unlike a normal grill where the coals or gas are right up to it? Hope I'm not rambling on. I always come up with good ideas but sometimes they turn into pipe dreams. ;o) always helps to get info from knowledgable people.

Status
Not open for further replies.