Q&A Outdoor fireplace/stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm planning to build a 20x10 free standing deck elevated about 10 feet from the ground to get the perfect view (my house is on a hillside, but with a level ground). There would be stone slabs under the deck, to be used as a patio. I need some kind of a wood burning device to be able to heat up this patio, probably installed at one of the corners. Or should it be in the center, with a way for smoke to escape through the deck ? Could you please advice me on which way to go - fireplace or stove or firepit or something else I haven't though of, sources for some good designs / pictures ? I haven't been able to find many ideas for an outdoor unit. I live close to San Francisco, the nights are not too cold. Appreciate any info you can give me.

Answer:

This is a very rare type of installation (that is, heating stones outdoors) and I do not know of any wood burner that is made for this type of job. You could, of course, use one of the outdoor firepits (there are fixed and portable units available) on top of the deck. Anything else would be a custom job.

Status
Not open for further replies.