Outdoor Overwhelmed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anangel44

Nov 6, 2015
Central Illinois
We currently heat through the winter with this (see pic). We have to use out back up propane-fueled boiler system whenever the wind blows upward of 10-15 mph out of the North/Northwest because we get smoked out every time! In central Illinois the north winds blow often during the winter, which leaves us propone bound. We have a small 1,200 sq ft home in the country with pole barn.

So, we are in the market here in the next couple weeks for an OWB system, and I'm overwhelmed. There are SOOOO many options and opinions. I'm reading the forums and reviews. We want to make an environmentally responsible choice, but I'm reading that we'll be blowing through wood at only a 41% efficiency burn tops with the top of line OWBs. I'm reading that only indoor EPA units or gasification units would guarantee the best use of wood fuel for the money we spend. I read that gasification units will really only work if the moisture of the wood is 20% or below, which normally wouldn't be an issue...but what if we ran low and had to use wood that wasnt quite seasoned? At least the run of the mill OWB would burn it with some output. I also read that common OWB units don't allow the best combustion possible due to the much chillier water jacket surrounding the chamber. Installing something in our basement would not work due to lack of access without tracking through the house.

We know we definitely are looking for an outdoor unit (due to our smokeouts and moving the mess outside), as well as looking forward to longer burn times without reloading. And we want the best efficiency (use of wood fuel) with the least environmental impact possible.

What are the best specific recommendations for our situation, in your much-more-knowledgeable opinions? I value and treasure forums like these where knowledge and experience is gathered and freely shared amongst fellow enthusiasts, veterans WBs down to rookies - and I thank you ahead of time for sharing it with me!

Attachments

• IMG_7969.JPG
    IMG_7969.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 175
You are only heating 1200 sq.ft.?

I'm afraid your goals are clashing. Using an OWB to heat that small a space is likely the least efficient use of wood you could find. And it would likely lead to a lot of periods of the OWB smoldering from small heat demand - which would also make it likely have the most environmental impact.

Sounds like your current smoke/wind situation might be due to chimney issues. Might be worthwhile to consider a new or overhauled chimney & new woodstove. OWBs are expensive. And not sure how much wood you burn with the stove, or are able to put up each year - but you'd be looking at a lot more than you do now.

Why is it your getting smoked out. Id address that issue first and maybe look at a new stove. Outdoor boilers use allot of wood plus require allot of work, piping, to install. You have a relatively small house should be easy to heat with a stove

Thank you so much for your replies thus far!

Our chimney is at a correct height though sits on the north side of our house (the only real option for the burner to sit in our home). It vents out of the burner with a 90 degree elbow then out of the house. We've tried to address the smoking for years. Our house is not tight and we open windows until the burner gets hot enough to create updraft or enough pressure to push up and out. However, we could put money down that as soon as that wind start coming out of the N/NW at more than 10-15mph, especially gusts, it'll push smoke back down and into our home. Similarly, when there is a really strong south wind (20-30mph) it'll suck the heat up and out.
With an OWB, we could be possibly be heating our garage and/or pole barn as well, though only a possibility. That would add sq. ft. to our total heating space.
Our wood supply has never been an issue; we always have 1-2+ years in surplus and that's turning some wood away.

We also are looking into something more centralized because on the cold nights, the heat from our current wood burner doesn't reach downstairs where 2 of our children sleep.

If you are set on an OWB or even if not, I would start with the closest dealers you can find. You will likely need to lean heavily on them anyway for whatever you need (actual install help or just advice or instructions) if you want to get this in & working for this winter. Then if there are questions after seeing them you could come back with something more specific.

Planning something like this out on your own so as to try to account for all your preferences & specific situation/layout usually takes a fair bit of time - which is getting very short for this year.

Based on your description, I think you might be best off with a new, professionally installed, wood stove and chimney liner. A vaccu-stack on top of the chimney will likely take care of your down draft issues - it is a kind of weather vane chimney cap that spins in the wind so smoke is always exhausted downwind of the chimney. Create a separate heating zone for the downstairs so the propane can help out there when the woodstove can't keep up. I would expect you could do all of this for $5000.

If you are set on a central heating boiler, stay away from an outdoor unit, you'll just make tons of smoke, use tons of wood and rot out the boiler in a few years. Warning: Shameless Plug Ahead: Tarm Biomass is offering a super low price on the Tarm Bonus Plus right now ($3500). This boiler is especially well suited to a small house like yours. Put the boiler and a 400 gallon buffer tank in the pole barn and run underground lines to the house. I would expect this project to come in in the $10,000 to $15,000 range depending on how far the pole barn is from the house, etc.

Good luck with the project, let us know what you do.

Chris

Reactions: BoiledOver
I'm also in the camp of thinking you could do better with a stove, properly installed. Have you ever described your situation to a stove professional? I wonder if a proper chimney could make your stove work famously as-is? Or if all you need is a new stove and proper chimney cap?

OWB's can be great for the right user but I think you'd spend far too much for your size home to get one installed and running.

All of the above being said, I'd strongly consider something used if you're dead set on getting a central hot water system installed. Find a solid used Central Boiler, have it inspected by a pro...and go for it.

Reactions: anangel44
Some good ideas been shared already. I will add this, whatever you choose, be certain to burn well seasoned firewood.

Reactions: anangel44
Heatmaster g100 gasification outdoor boiler. No need for a buffer tank. Extremely efficient. UL listed for interior or exterior installation.

We currently heat through the winter with this (see pic). We have to use out back up propane-fueled boiler system whenever the wind blows upward of 10-15 mph out of the North/Northwest because we get smoked out every time! In central Illinois the north winds blow often during the winter, which leaves us propone bound. We have a small 1,200 sq ft home in the country with pole barn.

So, we are in the market here in the next couple weeks for an OWB system, and I'm overwhelmed. There are SOOOO many options and opinions. I'm reading the forums and reviews. We want to make an environmentally responsible choice, but I'm reading that we'll be blowing through wood at only a 41% efficiency burn tops with the top of line OWBs. I'm reading that only indoor EPA units or gasification units would guarantee the best use of wood fuel for the money we spend. I read that gasification units will really only work if the moisture of the wood is 20% or below, which normally wouldn't be an issue...but what if we ran low and had to use wood that wasnt quite seasoned? At least the run of the mill OWB would burn it with some output. I also read that common OWB units don't allow the best combustion possible due to the much chillier water jacket surrounding the chamber. Installing something in our basement would not work due to lack of access without tracking through the house.

We know we definitely are looking for an outdoor unit (due to our smokeouts and moving the mess outside), as well as looking forward to longer burn times without reloading. And we want the best efficiency (use of wood fuel) with the least environmental impact possible.

What are the best specific recommendations for our situation, in your much-more-knowledgeable opinions? I value and treasure forums like these where knowledge and experience is gathered and freely shared amongst fellow enthusiasts, veterans WBs down to rookies - and I thank you ahead of time for sharing it with me!

=================================================================================================

By the time you pay for a forest eater you could have
had an energy survey done, paid for new windows
and insulation and sealed all your leaks.

I woul rather see you have someone come in and do an energy survey
with a door fan to find all your leaks and then fix them as that will be
much less money spent versus a forest eater.

NO sense in wasting good money when you dont have too BUT its your
money an time and no amount of chimney is going to solve your
leaky house problem.

Most forest eaters have short chimneys so your already in a bad place.

Short of puttingin a garn or switzer wood boiler in you barn your going
to waste a lot of money UNLESS you install a Keystoker coal stoker
but you still need to make energy improvements before all that so you can save money.

Get the survey done and plan on new windows and go from there as you have too much
air infiltration into the home to begin with.

I would add another vote to making the chimney work better with the vaccu-stack type cap and making the basement work off of propane.

That size house is on the small side to justify a wood boiler, in my opinion. That is if you are OK bringing wood to the stove now, and your only complaint is smoke blowing back.

If you can justify a wood boiler, it takes less time to tend than a wood stove. The pole barn or a new boiler shack is a good spot for an indoor gasifier boiler.

I heat two buildings. One with a wood boiler is like milking dairy cows. Once in the AM, once in the PM. The other building is with a wood stove. With the softwood around here, it is like feeding a baby formula. Every four hours, sometimes less.

Both buildings are twice the size of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.