Outlet extension cord for blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

esguardian

May 31, 2018
outside Philadelphia
Going to be installing a new wood insert into our fireplace (an exterior wall) late spring early summer. Not sure which model but leaning towards the blaze king Ashford insert or lopi flush. The installers have said they wouldn't install the electrical outlet for the blower and it's against code to run electrical wire through the ash trap down to our basement. Which is what I wanted to do. I just don't want to see 10 feet of the cord to extension cords running across the hearth to the wall outlet.

I wanted to know if something like an outlet with an extension cord can be installed in the brick next to the insert. The insert can be plugged into the outlet box and then extension cord running down to our basement below from there. I have a 1200 watt battery backup system originally used for a sump pump that we can use to power the blower during an outtage.

Something like this? I couldn't find a better example. Possible?

https://conwaygoods.com/products/ne...tamper-resistant-outlet-13-amp-extension-cord

Last edited by a moderator:
Lopi makes an optional inside wiring kit that we’ve used on a few different models on occasion. It’s always worked fine. The Ashford is a really deep unit, it typically ends up covering the ash dump, have you measured to make sure it will even be possible?

When did the installer become an electrical code enforcement officer?

Lopi makes an optional inside wiring kit that we’ve used on a few different models on occasion. It’s always worked fine. The Ashford is a really deep unit, it typically ends up covering the ash dump, have you measured to make sure it will even be possible?

I have not measured, still preliminary, but wanted to sort out electrical in case we went with BK. I'm aware of the internal wiring harness accessory from Lopi. Im assuming that would only support connection to a junction box and not the ability to use a 3-prong plug to an outlet?

I hear ya! It's not to say that I couldn't have it done, but they don't want to be liable, and it would increase the install time, I'm assuming.

Mine is dropped thru the ash pit opening then thru the block in basement into the rear KO on a 4x4 steel box. It is also a splice box for my wood boiler pumps that are fed from the generator panel.

I wired an outlet inside the fireplace. I don't have plans for battery backup though. If I wanted to with a power outage, I could pull the top piece of the faceplate, reach down and unplug the blower (sift through some mineral wool), and use an extension cord to connect to some kind of battery source.

What kind of fireplace are you installing the insert into? How bout a photo? I have an old heatform, and I ran wiring and an outlet into the lower intake area, then ran the insert fan cord to the outlet. Accessible, but hidden.

Reactions: bholler
This is what I have on my phone but can take more if it helps. Just let me know what you need to see.
049157102d1119716fd207fc8b6a9a12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not measured, still preliminary, but wanted to sort out electrical in case we went with BK. I'm aware of the internal wiring harness accessory from Lopi. Im assuming that would only support connection to a junction box and not the ability to use a 3-prong plug to an outlet?
All you would need to do is add a plug to the end of the armor flex whip that’s part of the kit.
I would not put an outlet in the fireplace unless there is no other way, running it through the ashdump would be best.

Reactions: esguardian
They have to do their install to code and it is against code to have an outlet in the firebox behind the insert.

This is what I have on my phone but can take more if it helps. Just let me know what you need to see.
View attachment 238322
Code says that the appliance needs to be switchable from the room. Dropping a cord down the ash pit hole means that the basement outlet needs to have a switch in the fireplace room in order to be able to turn it off for servicing.

Another option might be to use some silicone to glue the cord along the bottom side edge of the fireplace where it meet the hearth. Then paint the jacket grey to match the grout. Or rewire with grey jacket cord to start with.

Another option is run one of those cable raceways along the hearth edge and paint to match. They make a million different configurations is you go on Amazon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yes, because walking downstairs to unplug it or kill the breaker is out of the question! ;lol
True, a lot of code is to protect the ignorant. There is more than one fool that will pull the blower out and assume that because it is off, it is not hot.

True, a lot of code is to protect the ignorant. There is more than one fool that will pull the blower out and assume that because it is off, it is not hot.

Getting zapped with 120v is usually safe, very often educational, and extremely likely to be entertaining for bystanders. I can recommend it to just about everyone.

(240v will grab your attention. 20kv will grab all of you and throw you across the room, if you're lucky.)

(If you don't understand how circuits and grounding work, I retract my statement about 120v being safe. :p)

I've gotten shocked at all 3 levels. It is not the voltage but the amperage and how the current travels through the body. My dad used to regularly test circuits by touch them with his thumb and forefinger (making sure he was not grounded). It freaked me out, but he explained that the current was just going through his hand. I never tried to verify this test, but I saw him do it several times going out on calls with him. Current traveling across the hand is different than traveling across the heart.

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

When we have to install the unit in your house and we're the ones responsible when things go wrong because corners were cut or codes are ignored. It doesn't matter what code it is. When you're installing something you need to know all of the ones that impact the installation. Lawyers, and your surviving next of kin will be the first ones to want someone to hang if the can prove we screwed up.

Doesn't matter it is code.
So what about high efficiency ZC fireplaces that are hard wired? They also require a switch?
Tell me this, why do most jurisdictions require a DV gas fireplace with an accessible shutoff behind the louvre still require a floor valve? While at the same time a gas range with the capability of dumping tons of gas into the room doesn’t require any type of accessible shut off? Sure most have a valve behind the range, but is inaccessible to 90% of the population.

So what about high efficiency ZC fireplaces that are hard wired? They also require a switch?
Tell me this, why do most jurisdictions require a DV gas fireplace with an accessible shutoff behind the louvre still require a floor valve? While at the same time a gas range with the capability of dumping tons of gas into the room doesn’t require any type of accessible shut off? Sure most have a valve behind the range, but is inaccessible to 90% of the population.
They are hardwired so the codes are different. You should know all of this. We really dont get to pick and choose what codes we want to follow as pros. Atleast we shouldnt. Whether we agree or not we need to follow code or we are opening ourselves up to massive liability.

He shouldn’t be working on a fireplace or with electricity for that matter.

They are hardwired so the codes are different. You should know all of this. We really dont get to pick and choose what codes we want to follow as pros. Atleast we shouldnt. Whether we agree or not we need to follow code or we are opening ourselves up to massive liability.
With an inside wiring kit the insert is also hard wired. No hidden junctions, what’s the problem?

With an inside wiring kit the insert is also hard wired. No hidden junctions, what’s the problem?
Nothing wrong if that is an approved option but it isnt on most inserts. If it is for lopi great no issue. I havnt installed a lopi so i dont know.