Outlet in floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Would like to relocate a couple of electrical outlets, one in particular, is for the stove blower.

As I have solid stone walls, it's inconvenient and undesirable to have them on the walls.

Is it either a code violation or a stupid idea to have them mounted in the floor, where the prongs of the cords, when plugged in, would be vertical?

For one, I can see stuff falling into the sockets when nothing is plugged in.

There are special cast floor mounted boxes. They come with recessed covers and screw in blanking plugs. They are cheap.

As far as I know they are legal, lot to be said to have it fed from a arc fault protector, just in case.

Reactions: fbelec
I've installed them. They were specifically made for floors and were brass. They looked pretty nice.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Alot of the new outlets have built in child proofing little covers that close over the openings when nothing is inserted and take a bit of force to put a plug in them.. They would be good for floor mount as nothing can fall in em

When I think of a plug in the floor I wonder how you wash that floor
Water and Electricity do not get along together floor plugs in Ontario
Canada are against code . But it is up to you

legrand-wiremold-boxes-brackets-862db-64_1000.jpg

Run the mop over it like you would the rest of the floor.

How about a box mounted sideways to the floor next to the wall?

I've never moped my wood floors. Damp rag is all it seems to take.

Yeah, can't say I flood the floor either. My damp rag is a mop though. I've never put enough water down to get down between the oak flooring. Just enough to grab dirt and dust as I run the mop over it. I use non sudsing ammonia, so a rinse isn't even necessary.