ED 3000 Posted By ED 3000, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:04 AM

1. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Would like to relocate a couple of electrical outlets, one in particular, is for the stove blower.

As I have solid stone walls, it's inconvenient and undesirable to have them on the walls.

Is it either a code violation or a stupid idea to have them mounted in the floor, where the prongs of the cords, when plugged in, would be vertical?

For one, I can see stuff falling into the sockets when nothing is plugged in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    There are special cast floor mounted boxes. They come with recessed covers and screw in blanking plugs. They are cheap.

As far as I know they are legal, lot to be said to have it fed from a arc fault protector, just in case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    fbelec likes this.
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I've installed them. They were specifically made for floors and were brass. They looked pretty nice.

ED 3000 likes this.
  4. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Alot of the new outlets have built in child proofing little covers that close over the openings when nothing is inserted and take a bit of force to put a plug in them.. They would be good for floor mount as nothing can fall in em

ED 3000 likes this.
  5. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    When I think of a plug in the floor I wonder how you wash that floor
    Water and Electricity do not get along together floor plugs in Ontario
    Canada are against code . But it is up to you

ED 3000 likes this.
  6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    legrand-wiremold-boxes-brackets-862db-64_1000.jpg

Run the mop over it like you would the rest of the floor.

ED 3000 likes this.
  7. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I've never moped my wood floors. Damp rag is all it seems to take.

8. greg13

greg13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    CNY
    How about a box mounted sideways to the floor next to the wall?

ED 3000 likes this.
  9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY

Yeah, can't say I flood the floor either. My damp rag is a mop though. I've never put enough water down to get down between the oak flooring. Just enough to grab dirt and dust as I run the mop over it. I use non sudsing ammonia, so a rinse isn't even necessary.

10. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    That's a good idea, too, for a couple of them. Just saw that on a ewetube video.