Outside air for insert help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

parttimer428

Dec 8, 2018
ohio
We have 3 inserts now, and i feel i need to get some outside air kits installed. I noticed this morning the heating vent in our bathroom was flowing cold air while the pellet stove was on so I think I'm pulling in outside air into the house making drafts. How do you run outside air kits in a chimney with no exterior wall? One stove is in the basement which means if I go all the way out I needa 25' outside air kit! Can I just run the OAK above my block off plate?

uou want your oak pulling fresh air not dirty old air out of your chimney. With 3 inserts you re pulling alot more than you realize through cracks and such in the house and also run the risk of having to much carbon monoxide in the house.

You have 3 stoves in the same chimney?

No, we have 3 stoves in 3 chimney. One is in the basement. One is in the front of the house, the third is in the back of the house.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Masonary chimney’s? Liners in the chimney’s? Flex liners go to the top of ea. Chimney? What does the manual say about adding OAK?

Masonary, yes with flex liners to the top. The accentra was installed from the fireplace store, no OAK from what I can tell since the top is capped. OAK is talked about, the second stove in a greenfire and OAK is recommended. The third stove suggests an OAK but the run shouldn't be over 20 feet, well that's hard since it's in the basement.

I would run the oak’s right up to the cap.

BE01063A-DA3E-449D-BC69-5F2097F63FFA.jpeg

Reactions: 3RDegreeBurnz
Duravent Prarie termination cap. The 3” oak pipe can be aluminum
What he said! Or run the duravent one piece pipe that the outer ring actually pulls down fresh air.

I found 25' of OAK for harmon stoves on ebay. Going out the back wall would either take air from my dining room or laundry room for 2 of them!

I found 25' of OAK for harmon stoves on ebay. Going out the back wall would either take air from my dining room or laundry room for 2 of them!
I do not comprehend what you are saying. Are you terminating inside a room? Please articulate your statements, you do not want to pull air from inside the structure!

I do not comprehend what you are saying. Are you terminating inside a room? Please articulate your statements, you do not want to pull air from inside the structure!
I think the user meant that if he did go through the back of the chimney the termination would be inside another room.

In regards to the original question, the best route would be up the chimney with another pipe beside the existing liner. There are caps made for this. I would never run appliances like these without outside air due to wasted heat as well as a safety hazard especially if there is draft vented gas appliances in the house.

You are correct, I can't go out a wall, the are interior chimneys. I'm going to use the 25' kit I bought to run up the chimney next up the liner.

Reactions: fmsm
Does the fireplace have a cleanout? One of mine has a cleanout door that leads to another door on the exterior brick surface. I ran a short OAK out the cleanout out the exterior cleanout door, after fabbing sheetmetal plates to block off air intrusion thru the open cleanout doors.

Does the fireplace have a cleanout? One of mine has a cleanout door that leads to another door on the exterior brick surface. I ran a short OAK out the cleanout out the exterior cleanout door, after fabbing sheetmetal plates to block off air intrusion thru the open cleanout doors.

His chimney’s are in the middle of the house not on exterior walls.