Outside Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He's running a humidifier.

Not exactly. I’m running a humidifier in the stove room (sometimes), and a humidifier in the bedroom/back room (almost always). I monitor both rooms, and the basement. All 3 fluctuate a lot, and are always fairly different. I use the circulator sometimes when the stove is going, but that’s not enough.

We live in the Ohio River Valley. Currently it’s nearing 60 degrees and 88% humidity outside. On days like today I run 2 dehumidifiers to keep it near 50%.

No mold ever, but I worry do about it. We’ve not been sick since living in this house almost 5 years, me or my wife. The only reason I have the humidifier was because our old place was very dry, even though it was just two counties away. We had electric heat. We got sick every season in that dry place, and our skin itched in Winter. In the past 4 years we’ve never had to run the humidifier here, but since putting in the stove this year I worried about the hardwood drying out (I see gaps now, but right before the stove). I also noticed around the window frame (wall) at the top near the stove the plaster has cracked.

So don’t know. I’m currently shooting for 50%. We will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just me but I would not obsess over trying to control the humidity levels that much. Simple acts like opening and closing the doors, running the clothes dryer, steam from showers all change humidity levels in that general area. If you have air movement in the house it should tend to even out (assuming doors are open). Outside influences such as a below grade wall, what is below the foundation and slab (dirt versus concrete), and how much air leakage in the dwelling will all change humidity. I would worry most about your sleeping areas as you spend more time in there than anywhere else in the house. Also wouldn't fret about the floors, they will swell naturally as the spring arrives.

Grabbed the two charts just a bit ago to show the differences in humidity]
ohio valley.JPG
Thanks to wiki, a cubic foot of air at 86 deg can hold 28 grams of water, at 46 deg it would hold 8 grams.

Attachments

• humidity.JPG
    humidity.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BethelStrong
Not exactly. I’m running a humidifier in the stove room (sometimes), and a humidifier in the bedroom/back room (almost always). I monitor both rooms, and the basement. All 3 fluctuate a lot, and are always fairly different. I use the circulator sometimes when the stove is going, but that’s not enough.

We live in the Ohio River Valley. Currently it’s nearing 60 degrees and 88% humidity outside. On days like today I run 2 dehumidifiers to keep it near 50%.

No mold ever, but I worry do about it. We’ve not been sick since living in this house almost 5 years, me or my wife. The only reason I have the humidifier was because our old place was very dry, even though it was just two counties away. We had electric heat. We got sick every season in that dry place, and our skin itched in Winter. In the past 4 years we’ve never had to run the humidifier here, but since putting in the stove this year I worried about the hardwood drying out (I see gaps now, but right before the stove). I also noticed around the window frame (wall) at the top near the stove the plaster has cracked.

So don’t know. I’m currently shooting for 50%. We will see...

50% is on the high side. Chances are the humidity is not going to stay in one room or area. I keep mine set at 30% and seems to be just right for here. Of course every place is different, but 50% is def the high end. I recently learned from a recent discussion with those in colder temps, as the temp drops outside, you need less humidity inside.

A good rule of thumb I been using, is my windows are getting condensation, I cut the humidifier back or off, and that clears any condensation problems up.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

I really don’t think I can get the inside of my house (on either floor) to 35%. I now have 3 dehumidifiers (my theory data was for 2 units over almost 5 years here) and getting it below 45% is practically impossible. I’ve recently been setting the units on 55% so they at least cycle some. Otherwise they will run constantly and cost me a small fortune.

I have a block foundation/basement, clay soil, 800 ft elevation, but not but 10 minutes down hill from the Ohio River ( which has been threatening flood stage for folks down there for weeks). We also live near a lake (about 5 minutes the other way), so it’s just wet here and nothing I can do about that.

I’m considering a whole house dehumidifier now though...

Aprilaire 1830 is a kickass unit.

aprilaire-1830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BethelStrong
Btw, I checked my 3 units. They seem to not be listed in the drop-down, so I assume they are “ok”. You got me worried though, since I leave them on when I leave. Maybe I’ll reach out to Frigidaire, since I have 3 different models.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
View attachment 242418 View attachment 242419 View attachment 242420

Told the story before, forgive me. I came home one evening and was in the kitchen. Smelled something like plastic or wires burning. Traced the smell downstairs in the basement to the dehumidifier. It was close to catching fire! The whole basement stunk to high heaven. Man was I lucky this time!
Went on the net to look for info and found it was recalled. Unplugged it and sent in for the recall. Got something like $230 for it. I just went today and bought a new unit because summer is coming. I was going to get the Aprilaire unit but just didnt want to spend that much for it. I would have liked to though.

I dont see Electrolux brand on the list. You might be good.

[QUOTE="I dont see Electrolux brand on the list. You might be good.[/QUOTE]

Electrolux is Frigidaire. It appears China makes all of the models at the same factory.

Yes I see that. I cant find your units anywhere on the lists. There is no Electrolux option and if you go under Frigidaire, your models are'nt listed.

Yes I see that. I cant find your units anywhere on the lists. There is no Electrolux option and if you go under Frigidaire, your models are'nt listed.

Right. That’s why Monday I’m going to reach out to them and see for sure.

Thanks again.