Outside Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
So when I had my Afton Bay installed about 8 years ago we had an outside air kit installed. Somewhere and tearing things like that the aluminum foil tubing has worn out and has holes near where it goes outside. My house is old and pellet stove is right on an outside wall in the main living area. Do I need to replace that is it okay not to have the outside air tubing.

Debi

I replaced mine. I was getting smoke from stove when shutdown somtimes thru it. I put Metal Stubs on Wall Side and Stove side. Flex tubing only in middle. That way it will not need replacement. Cleaning stove one of the panels would always screw up the flex tubing.

O A K opinions are like a== holes everyone has one
I have an O A K why because I hate running
air which I paid to heat up the chimney. Afterall
I am Scottish and tight in fact I have been told I am
as tight as a ducks a== and that's watertight
So do whatever you think you need

Reactions: Ssyko
If its there use it, Cost is minimal.

I replaced mine. I was getting smoke from stove when shutdown somtimes thru it. I put Metal Stubs on Wall Side and Stove side. Flex tubing only in middle. That way it will not need replacement. Cleaning stove one of the panels would always screw up the flex tubing.
Can you post a picture of your setup I'm trying to picture it!

Debi

I gave up on the foil piping....ordered this and its a lot more durable...
1573048723510.png

Neat. Others will read this and Wonder "if they only posted link" and said price. If it's good thing share it on the forum.

Here is a pic of my set up, cost was about 17$ American

Attachments

• B0484563-A683-4C05-AA3D-887161139D3C.jpeg
    B0484563-A683-4C05-AA3D-887161139D3C.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 185
That appears to be vinyl or plastic tubing, if so that's really not to be used for the oak do to fire hazard.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The tubing I posted is acceptable, according to my insurance company, its used in an engine bay in cars that are high temperature and draws in outside air keeping it well below an ignition temperature....I've been using it for 2 years now without issue.

Mine ran for years using room air, then I measured intake and had local muffler pipe shop fix me a piece of exhaust steel tubing to fit and direct intake away from exhaust, a short piece of rubber tubing between pipe & stove works, used screw type clamps. I think tubing was originally for a gas fill in my old PU. Outside, I applied a good screen wire to end with a clamp, all painted black.

I used 2 sections of automotive flexible exhaust pipe. Joined in the middle and a through the wall with rigid exhaust pipe. Didn’t cost much.