Outside air vent pipe concealed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

planner steve

Burning Hunk
Dec 24, 2014
Northern Idaho
Thought I'd share this solution for an outside air pipe eyesore.

When we built our house, we installed an outside air vent pipe. It emerged in the front of the house as this was the shortest pipe run. I promised the wife we'd figure out a way to cover it up. The pictures show our stump solution.
We found an old cedar stump that had rotted out but was still solid on the outside. I attached a Y fitting to the pipe and put wire mesh into the opening to prevent critters from entering. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

• before pipe.jpg
    before pipe.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 187
  • after stump.jpg
    after stump.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 209
  • pipe in stump.jpg
    pipe in stump.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 188
Thought I'd share this solution for an outside air pipe eyesore.

When we built our house, we installed an outside air vent pipe. It emerged in the front of the house as this was the shortest pipe run. I promised the wife we'd figure out a way to cover it up. The pictures show our stump solution.
We found an old cedar stump that had rotted out but was still solid on the outside. I attached a Y fitting to the pipe and put wire mesh into the opening to prevent critters from entering. I think it turned out pretty nice.
It looks great but is that for a wood stove? If so is it running up from that wood stove?

We don’t normally see air intakes coming up out of the ground. Is your stove in a basement? There are some rules about the intake opening being always lower than the firebox because it would be a bad deal if your intake pipe drafted backwards!

Reactions: bholler
The pipe is for a wood stove. My house is built on a slab. This air pipe goes down under the slab and emerges at floor level inside the house. My stove is a PE Super 27 which sits directly over this air pipe inside. The inlet for the pipe inside of the stump is approximately 8 inches higher than the floor of the house. The firebox is approximately 12" off the floor. I can see no evidence of ash in bottom of the stove being pulled from the firebox.

This reminds me that when I was getting contractor proposals for mechanical, one of them proposed running the outside air line up through the wall and coming out 10 feet above the stove level. Now that would have had potential for draft.

Attachments

• wood stove tile surround.jpg
    wood stove tile surround.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Super 27 tile surround.jpg
    Super 27 tile surround.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 123
  • pe firebox air pipe.jpg
    pe firebox air pipe.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
Looks great so long as the inlet outside is lower than the firebox floor. Don’t let it block up with snow.

Nice solution and visual improvement.

It's unclear whether that is a screen or cap on the top of the Y. It should be a cap.

I put a plug in the top of the Y. The open portion is angled downward, I doubt water will get in there.

Attachments

• Y fitting.jpg
    Y fitting.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: begreen
All good. It was hard to tell from the picture.

Good idea! Keep an eye on snow buildup! Is it in a spot where it can fall off the roof and cover it?

Reactions: Highbeam and Z33