overfire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Oct 14, 2012
came home from work today and saw that the paperclip i put on the thermometer maxed out at 950.

wife said she left the house for an hour with all the controls closed and when she came back the stove was at 500.

everything looks good from what i can see and the house didn't burn down but the baffle seems to be a little bit tighter when i open and close it but i can totally be just imagining this.

this happened about 8 hours ago and she has kept stove has cruising at 350-600 since.

is there anything that i should be looking for while the stove it still on to see if a problem has arisen?

Can you explain how you use the paper clip to tell what your max temp is?? I have not heard of that before. Maybe it got bumped or moved on a reload?? Not sure what you could check on the stove. Hopefully some Quadrafire owners will have some input for you.

Can you explain how you use the paper clip to tell what your max temp is?? I have not heard of that before. Maybe it got bumped or moved on a reload?? Not sure what you could check on the stove. Hopefully some Quadrafire owners will have some input for you.

Pic stolen from another thread.

i called the company that made my stove to see what they recommended for a maximum stove top temp to stay away from and i was told 300 degrees. i actually laughed at them and said it was at 650 right now. they put me on with an engineer and they said the same thing, but said that they would rather measure flue temp than stove top temp to determine if the unit is too hot and then she backed away from her 300 degrees statement and said they were not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.