Overfire!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
First burn this season w ash mc about 18%, first load at about 450, reloaded w choke 1/3 opened, prepared breakfast ~20 mins later, climbed up to a tad over 650, sheet, nothing I can do, but choke closed and crank recirculating fan all the way up, whew, I gotta be careful w seasoned wood!!! aaffa78f2fedd873637d4e51ebe938b8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First burn this season w ash mc about 18%, first load at about 450, reloaded w choke 1/3 opened, prepared breakfast ~20 mins later, climbed up to a tad over 650, sheet, nothing I can do, but choke closed and crank recirculating fan all the way up, whew, I gotta be careful w seasoned wood!!!View attachment 200792

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
You're fine. That SBI stove is at its best at those temps.

Reactions: excessads
650 deg .. That's mid January cruising speed right there!!!!

A loosely packed fire with smaller dry splits will go up quickly. Bigger, thicker splits will burn slower. As others have remarked 650F is a pretty normal cruising temp for a steel stove.

It sounds like you had the air 1/3 open and are surprised about 650?

You can expect to use the fully closed position of the choke frequently. Even when you think the choke is fully closed, it is still partially open plus all of the other air inlets to the stove.

Don't be afraid to close the intake fully.

Agreed, that's a pretty good temp right there. You can get higher and still not over fire, but you'd be getting closer to that point of should I be worried or not.

As a general rule in an over fire situation, it's best to not close down the air. Open the door and let the cool room air flush the hot air up the chimney. Closing down the air keeps the hot air in the firebox.

Noticed your door handle is missing paint in the exact same spot mine is - wonder what that's about?

Agreed, that's a pretty good temp right there. You can get higher and still not over fire, but you'd be getting closer to that point of should I be worried or not.

As a general rule in an over fire situation, it's best to not close down the air. Open the door and let the cool room air flush the hot air up the chimney. Closing down the air keeps the hot air in the firebox.

Noticed your door handle is missing paint in the exact same spot mine is - wonder what that's about?
Same here, regarding the paint. The rest of the door is cast iron, painted with high temp paint. The other part is steel, part of the door handle mechanism. I'm guessing either it wasn't painted with high temp paint, or the paint just isn't sticking to whatever steel is used there.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm a "slam the intake shut" type guy if I feel like it's going nuclear. So far so good.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm a "slam the intake shut" type guy if I feel like it's going nuclear. So far so good.
Having the same stove, I can attest that there are situations where closing the intake absolutely won't cut it. Unless there is burning wood leaning against the door, opening the door works well to tame the flaming beast before something melts down.