Overflowing burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint_coon

Dec 21, 2015
Lyons ny
Good morning I am new to the hearth forums and pellet stoves in general. I have a timber wolf tps 35 stove I've has it for about a year and I cant seem to figure out why the burn pot overflows after a few hours of burn on medium and high settings. I've adjusted the blower trim up and down and neither seemed to help. I don't think I can adjust the feed rate on this stove. I look forward to hearing from you all

Is there an accumulation of unburned or partially burned pellets causing the overflow?

Is there an accumulation of unburned or partially burned pellets causing the overflow?
No, it's like a large mass of ash/soot if I don't catch the overflow in time sometimes pellets will be burning outside the pot. I'm burning new England hardwood pellets I don't know if that will help diagnose the problem

No, it's like a large mass of ash/soot if I don't catch the overflow in time sometimes pellets will be burning outside the pot. I'm burning new England hardwood pellets I don't know if that will help diagnose the problem

It sounds like either the pellets are of poor quality or your stove is not set right for the correct amount of combustion air, or maybe both.

It sounds like either the pellets are of poor quality or your stove is not set right for the correct amount of combustion air, or maybe both.
I was thinking a combustion issue because the place I get them from uses them in there personal stoves and show room stoves. What would be the best way to adjust the air combustion? I had turned it up bust noticed that whole pellets where around the pot along with overflow, so I turned the blower trim down a half turn (it's adjusted via a set screw behind the panel with the control panel on it)

Do they have the same pellet stove as you? I am asking because some stoves can burn through pretty much anything and some are a little more picky.

Do they have the same pellet stove as you? I am asking because some stoves can burn through pretty much anything and some are a little more picky.
Not that I'm aware of. I'm wondering if my stove is a bit more picky. I do know that the tractor supply brand burns like total crap in my stove. Maybe I should try turning it back one more half turn to see if that helps

Not that I'm aware of. I'm wondering if my stove is a bit more picky. I do know that the tractor supply brand burns like total crap in my stove. Maybe I should try turning it back one more half turn to see if that helps
Worth a try. I'd try a different brand pellet also, if possible.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I wonder if you should try a different pellet and get your burn pot extra clean to start out with. Since the review said there is no damper, only a fan adjustment, I cant help but wonder if the holes in the burn pot are plugging. Some stoves are very picky about the pellet types, others not so much. But I would'nt rely on what the store uses or sells. They will have different exhaust piping and other differences that can effect the stove's performance. IMO

Do you have pictures and a description of your install? A lot of the experienced people here will want to know all the details to try to get your stove fixed. Lots of great experience and knowledge on this site.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I wonder if you should try a different pellet and get your burn pot extra clean to start out with. Since the review said there is no damper, only a fan adjustment, I cant help but wonder if the holes in the burn pot are plugging. Some stoves are very picky about the pellet types, others not so much. But I would'nt rely on what the store uses or sells. They will have different exhaust piping and other differences that can effect the stove's performance. IMO

Do you have pictures and a description of your install? A lot of the experienced people here will want to know all the details to try to get your stove fixed. Lots of great experience and knowledge on this site.
The install was quite simple and straight forward we placed the stove on the pad and put an exhaust pipe staight out the back of the stove there is no bends or anything. I would be inclined to agree with you on the holes in the pot clogging. When I have to dump the pot out I make sure all the holes are clear. At this point a different pellet brand isn't in the cards maybe in a coupleweeks I could. I have pictures to upload if you need more or something more specific let me know the one pic of the pot with a fire in it is on low setting. Side note it keeps saying it can't upload pictures

b99f8556f92bce9a7768f71e9765e789.jpg0d033d8e55c6b5bcb12fd9bfcd7c9716.jpg

DSC02526.JPG
Can you just buy a few bags of another pellet? Clean the hopper out, put the new pellet in for a couple days and see what happens?

This is how my burn pot looks after just a short burn. The holes that are covered, now can not bring air up thru the pellets, leaving a dead spot. I'd imagine if I were to leave it alone and the whole bottom were to pug, the pellets would mound up over the dead spot and eventually over flow. But that's just a guess.

Has the exhaust vent and stove had a good cleaning yet. And according to the manual there is a feed trim adjustment.

Is there an OAK?

Outside Air Kit.

Any possibility that the pellets have gotten some moisture? Someone else just figured out their remaining last seasons stock had picked up some moisture and was burning very poorly. New pellets and the stove is running without error.

I have this same stove and it runs like a champ. Its not too picky about pellets you use.

There is a combustion blower trim adjustment (on the control board) and there is a feed rate adjustment (by pressing "prime" and heat level button at the same time). Here is a link to the manual for your stove: http://timberwolffireplaces.com/products/pellet-burning-stoves/TPS35/

Sounds like your feed rate may be set too high. Also, check the burn pot gasket...it could be affecting air flow through the burn pot.

I have this same stove and it runs like a champ. Its not too picky about pellets you use.

There is a combustion blower trim adjustment (on the control board) and there is a feed rate adjustment (by pressing "prime" and heat level button at the same time). Here is a link to the manual for your stove: http://timberwolffireplaces.com/products/pellet-burning-stoves/TPS35/

Sounds like your feed rate may be set too high. Also, check the burn pot gasket...it could be affecting air flow through the burn pot.
Ok I'm a little bit confused by the books instructions for adjusting the feed trim. I have to wait for it to finish the ignition cycle then put the stove on the low setting then press the prime button and the heat level button? Now is this adjusted on all levels or just low? My apologies for sounding like a complete idiot but I want to make sure I understand 100% since I'm very green to this stuff

Ok I'm a little bit confused by the books instructions for adjusting the feed trim. I have to wait for it to finish the ignition cycle then put the stove on the low setting then press the prime button and the heat level button? Now is this adjusted on all levels or just low? My apologies for sounding like a complete idiot but I want to make sure I understand 100% since I'm very green to this stuff

It will adjust feed rates on all levels. It's a little weird...you push the prime button and heat level button at the same time (hold them both in). You'll know you did it right when all 3 heat level lights light up. You will see the lights cycle on and off, as you hold the buttons down. The light that is OFF is your feed rate setting. So...if you do this, and you release the buttons with the low setting light OFF, your feed rate will be set at low, etc. On my stove, the buttons are sensitive...you have to push prime & heat level at the exact same time for it to work. It will take some practice...but you'll know that you did it right when all lights light up and start cycling through like a traffic light. It would be a lot easier if they just put a feed rate knob on there :).

Reactions: Clint_coon
It will adjust feed rates on all levels. It's a little weird...you push the prime button and heat level button at the same time (hold them both in). You'll know you did it right when all 3 heat level lights light up. You will see the lights cycle on and off, as you hold the buttons down. The light that is OFF is your feed rate setting. So...if you do this, and you release the buttons with the low setting light OFF, your feed rate will be set at low, etc. On my stove, the buttons are sensitive...you have to push prime & heat level at the exact same time for it to work. It will take some practice...but you'll know that you did it right when all lights light up and start cycling through like a traffic light. It would be a lot easier if they just put a feed rate knob on there :).
I think I've done it! I will report the results in a few days. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I agree a feed knob would be easier along with an easier way to adjust the blower trim

Reactions: mixpat
Good morning I am new to the hearth forums and pellet stoves in general. I have a timber wolf tps 35 stove I've has it for about a year and I cant seem to figure out why the burn pot overflows after a few hours of burn on medium and high settings. I've adjusted the blower trim up and down and neither seemed to help. I don't think I can adjust the feed rate on this stove. I look forward to hearing from you all
I have the same stove and I'm having the same problem I adjusted the feed rate on lowest setting and still no different let me know if you came up with a solution

Is the OAK installed on this stove . I see that there is one in the manual . Yes or no is it connected ?

Status
Not open for further replies.