Overheat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gradwell

Mar 26, 2008
western pa
Gearing up for my Econoburn 150 install. Can you guys tell me what you are using for your overheat loop, how much of it and where you are buying it? I know I read on here somewhere that it was 10 or 20% of the boiler btu rating. So if my boiler is 150,000 btu, would I be shooting for 15,000 btu or 30,000 btu?

Also, any thing you can suggest for the install would be greatly appreciated. As I have said in previous posts, I am the truest wood novice. My project is new construction. I have managed the 30x50 building the boiler will sit in as well as the 4500 sq ft home it will heat. Both structures are radiant in concrete for floor warming all additional heat is a bonus. Boiler sits 180 ft. from house. Pex is in the ground and insulated as of today. Stainless Chimney goes in tomorrow. Now all that is left is the hard part. Now that it is getting colder I must install as I don't want my almost finished drywall mud cracking.I don't want to forget anything so again, suggestions are openly welcome.

Thanks,
Joe

10% is what Tarm recommends.In my case I used 18' of 1 1/4"iron commercial baseboard that I had laying around.I mounted it above the boiler between my floor joists.I would have liked to have more elevation to get better flow but it was not feasible.I did put in a 1400va UPS for my circulator so I am hoping that between the two I should be in good shape

I got 28 feet of old but unused baseboard from craigslist. Half of it is high output (slightly larger fins). I got all 28 feet for $100 and hung it just below the ceiling above the tarm 40.

gradwell said:
Gearing up for my Econoburn 150 install. Can you guys tell me what you are using for your overheat loop, how much of it and where you are buying it? I know I read on here somewhere that it was 10 or 20% of the boiler btu rating. So if my boiler is 150,000 btu, would I be shooting for 15,000 btu or 30,000 btu?

Also, any thing you can suggest for the install would be greatly appreciated. As I have said in previous posts, I am the truest wood novice. My project is new construction. I have managed the 30x50 building the boiler will sit in as well as the 4500 sq ft home it will heat. Both structures are radiant in concrete for floor warming all additional heat is a bonus. Boiler sits 180 ft. from house. Pex is in the ground and insulated as of today. Stainless Chimney goes in tomorrow. Now all that is left is the hard part. Now that it is getting colder I must install as I don't want my almost finished drywall mud cracking.I don't want to forget anything so again, suggestions are openly welcome.

Thanks,
Joe

two ideas-

if funds are not an issue, get and install an auto-start LP/ propane fired backup generator to run your heat system and other "mission critical" domestic electric loads

if funds are an issue, get a Laing DC circulator as Hot Rod BobRohr suggested to me, and as I am picking up tomorrow, and rig it with a big deep cycle 12vdc battery and a relay, so that when the AC power goes off, the DC circ + battery go to town to dissipate the boiler's heat in useful and non-destructive directions

Thanks guys!

Pybyr- I have installed a NG Generator. My concern is that a non power failure over heat event could occur such as generl electronic failure. Am I being over cautious or should I not waste the expense of the over heat loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.