Overheat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Love this forum, but need to get back to work... Quick question - what is the first sign of the stove overheat? Is it related to the Secondary combustion? Is it dangerous? And how is avoid it? Some people mention stove temperature... Do you use a thermometer?
Thanks

Check your owner's manual which should tell you what the manufacturer for your particular stoves considers "over firing". For example, Travis Industries states that temps exceeding 800F are considered over firing for my Lopi Endeavor. I use a Rutland magnetic stovetop thermometer. I've found that mine does not read correct at all times, as I tested it in the kitchen oven the other day. But, still, it will give you a good idea of what kind of temps you're getting at different phases of your burns.

4dimad said:
Do you use a thermometer?
Yes. Pick up a simple $12 Rutland magnetic thermomer. They are invaluable, as heat seems to be a subjective thing and what "feels" too hot to me may seem fine to you. So get a thermometer and be sure. If you list your stove/insert in your signature, someone with your make/model will come along and tell you where exactly to place it and how to best use your new information. It will help you burn more safely and more efficiently.

I think you'll feel more comfortable with a thermometer. I know I do. I can usually shut my bypass damper off once the stove top hits about 400F, then I wait about 5 minutes or so and start backing down the air intake, starting with about 50% closed and closing it further during the next 15 to 20 minutes. Once I do that, I usually level off around 550-650F and get a good secondary burn for the life of the wood. This leaves big coals in the back which are easy to rake forward several hours later and get a new load started quickly.

I use a magnetic thermometer to give me a rough idea of where the stove is in the burn cycle, but I ignore all markings (temps and burn ranges). I just look at the position of the needle on the dial.

To take a temp reading, I use a handheld IR thermometer that I picked up at Harbor Freight for about $40.

I've got an Englander 30-NC. I take the temperature reading on the stove top a couple inches in front of the flue collar.

Normal burn range is 550-650. I've had it over 700 a couple times, but that usually only happens if I reload a full load on top of a good coal bed without waiting for the stovetop temp to drop back down to about 300 first.

If I remember right, one of the guys from Englander said that they considered 800 to be the beginning of the overfire range on this stove.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Normal burn range is 550-650. I've had it over 700 a couple times, but that usually only happens if I reload a full load on top of a good coal bed without waiting for the stovetop temp to drop back down to about 300 first.

-SF

That's exactly what happened to me this morning! I was cruising at about 625 or so, and I decided to put 4 small oak rounds on top to make sure the wife would be toasty when she got home. Fifteen minutes later, I was right around the 800 mark! Though I'm hoping mine does read 100F too high, as indicated by the oven in the kitchen. I talked to the wife a couple of hours ago and it was back down to 450 and cruising along fine. Note to self: leave well enough alone! ;-)

Not only that... when you hit the new "record high" temps... the paint on the stove pipe starts to cure a little bit more and sets off the smoke detector... I don't mind the smell, but the sound of that detector drives the dogs and I nuts.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Not only that... when you hit the new "record high" temps... the paint on the stove pipe starts to cure a little bit more and sets off the smoke detector... I don't mind the smell, but the sound of that detector drives the dogs and I nuts.

-SF

This morning's burn didn't produce any smells or smoke, which is why I don't think it was truly burning at 800F. Nonetheless, seeing the temp gauge there does make me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.