Oversized chimney for a Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caraanne

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
I have a Jotul 602 stove, which has a 4.5" diameter opening and calls for a 6" stovepipe.

I was recently given enough 8" diameter metalbestos to do my whole chimney, so I'm really hoping I can use that. Is there any reason this would not work? Would the best thing be to use 6" single-wall stovepipe and then an adapter into the 8" insulated stuff, or just use 8" all the way up with an adapter at the bottom? Is there any other part that would need to be used to make this installation work? I'm going to be coming straight out the top of the stove.

The manual for the 602 says to use 6" metal chimney, but it does mention using up to 8" diameter flue lining for a masonry chimney, which makes me think it would work alright? Let me know if I'm off-base and maybe I can find a way to trade for the 6" stuff.

Is this for an older F602 or a newer F602CB stove? Will the chimney be straight up? How tall from stove top to chimney top?

the 8" diameter pipe you have, is that ID or OD? (inside or outside diameter)

I have a Jotul 602 stove, which has a 4.5" diameter opening and calls for a 6" stovepipe.

I was recently given enough 8" diameter metalbestos to do my whole chimney, so I'm really hoping I can use that. Is there any reason this would not work? Would the best thing be to use 6" single-wall stovepipe and then an adapter into the 8" insulated stuff, or just use 8" all the way up with an adapter at the bottom? Is there any other part that would need to be used to make this installation work? I'm going to be coming straight out the top of the stove.

The manual for the 602 says to use 6" metal chimney, but it does mention using up to 8" diameter flue lining for a masonry chimney, which makes me think it would work alright? Let me know if I'm off-base and maybe I can find a way to trade for the 6" stuff.
It will not work as well as it should on an 8" chimney but it will probably work. Did you get all of the needed components with the chimney? If not are they still available i know some metalbestos stuff is no longer supported.

It will not work as well as it should on an 8" chimney but it will probably work. Did you get all of the needed components with the chimney? If not are they still available i know some metalbestos stuff is no longer supported.

I believe most of the components are there - it was pulled from a house that was being knocked down. It included a cap and a pitched ceiling mount.

I believe it's 8" outside diameter. I haven't seen it yet and I'm not sure if we actually know what brand it is, but I think its similar to the Selkirk stuff I've bought before.

The chimney will go straight up. Was planning to do 8' of stove pipe and another 10' of insulated chimney pipe.

I don't know the vintage of my Jotul 602 and I'm not sure how to find out. It's definitely not that new -- was bought off Craigslist and has a little rust on the back.

The older style will vent ok. It's draft requirements are low. I have ours on a 10' chimney and it's fine. It would probably work on a 6' chimney. The new model has a secondary rack and is going to want stronger draft, but it may also work. The manual says use no larger than 8".

Does your stove have door glass or a solid door with just the spin dial front air control? Is there a UL label on the back?

I ran my 602cb on an 8” chimney that was straight up. It worked fine.

I ran my 602cb on an 8” chimney that was straight up. It worked fine.
Yes they can work fine. But they work better on a properly sized chimney. Oversizing the chimney makes the flue gasses expand which causes cooling. This reduces draft. Yes that can be overcome for sure but 6" would be better.

It's a solid door with a spin dial and no UL label.

After some texting back and forth I've determined that the pipe we were given is actually all 6" Selkirk metalbestos and the I.D/O.D. thing was causing confusion. So I no longer need answers to this question, I guess. Thanks for the replies!