Oversized flue issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I have an opportunity to pick up a used Upland 207 to heat my new construction this Fall/Winter. I believe the 207 requires a 7" flue, but the heater I'll be using permanently will require 8" which I'd install (stainless insulated) in advance for use with the temporary heater. Is the larger diameter flue likely to cause issues with draft with the Upland?

How tall is the chimney going to be?

22' off the top of the stove. 8'of double wall uninsulated on the first floor and insulated the rest of the way up the center to 3' above the ridge.
If the upland is 7" You will be fine put in the 8"

I take it the stack height is what would make it work?

I'm wondering the same thing. I notice that some older stoves had a larger flue requirement while more efficient and larger stoves - like the Jotul 500 - specify a 6 inch flue. I figured the older stoves were exhausting much more heat and gases while the more efficient stoves exhausted much less heat requiring a smaller flue that would be easier to keep warm for good draft.

I take it the stack height is what would make it work?

You got it. Being a taller chimney, you will get more pull, especially since this is double wall inside and then insulated above, good combo.