OWB versus new indoor furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I happened to stumble across a good deal on a >1 year old G100 that appears to be in very good condition. Is there any known issues with this stove, and would it be worth the $3,500 savings to go with it compared to a G4000?

I need to double check, but I’m told the warranty is transferable.

So far mine has been running well with no known issues (only 3 months). Also not much to go wrong at 1 year old.

Make sure it has the bypass option... or else you will only be able to install outdoors.

I happened to stumble across a good deal on a >1 year old G100 that appears to be in very good condition. Is there any known issues with this stove, and would it be worth the $3,500 savings to go with it compared to a G4000?

I need to double check, but I’m told the warranty is transferable.
The savings in wood alone make the G100 a much better stove. Is it this years model or last years?

The difference between this and the 4400 you referenced is also a no brainer. I installed a Crown Royal 7300 MP. I don’t regret not going with a gasser because I burn coal in it at times and that was the point. I wouldn’t consider anything other than a gasser for a OWB if I was only burning wood.

The difference between these and the CB or Woodmaster branded CB is also night and day.

Find a local dealer to help you with the warranty transfer, perhaps the dealer that originally sold the stove.

As far as pipe reading through this. You can do it once or redo it right. That is really how it works. The 1” pipe is pretty cheap compared to the 1 1/4” Thermopex I used. Around $12 for any of it. Like I said do it once.

Just always remember one thing. The G100 will operate better with wood seasoned 2 years and the 4000 will run ok with a green tree cut and thrown in. 3000 square feet well insulated and you have to commit to cutting 5-6 cords each year to stay ahead.

Also I'm curious about price comparison. You mentioned $3500 savings compared to a g4000? How much does the 1 year old g100 cost?

$5,500, compared to $9,000 for a brand new G4000.

Yep I agree with @Medic21 on this one. $1500 is nothing off a used -pre 2020 model. I bet they were blowing them out the door new for that price last year once the new g4000 came out.

I paid equivalent to $3900USD for my g100 used 1 year old (at the start of this heating season). So for in other words I wouldn't pay over 4k for it now... remember we are also half way through winter pretty much.

Don’t even think about it. That’s about a $1500 less than when the G100 was new less than a year ago.

The new G series meet 2020 EPA standards. The older ones like the 100 did not. Other than that it’s a bullet proof and proven stove.
A new G100 for $7,000? I might be misunderstanding you. If it's got the smoke bypass option it would have sold for $8,000 - $8,500 new. They did have some large rebates in spring of 2020 when the new regs came in, so it could have originally been sold for around $7000.

Reactions: andym
Appreciate the input folks. I’ll see how flexible this guy is on pricing.

A new G100 for $7,000? I might be misunderstanding you. If it's got the smoke bypass option it would have sold for $8,000 - $8,500 new. They did have some large rebates in spring of 2020 when the new regs came in, so it could have originally been sold for around $7000.
I looked back at my estimates. I had quoted a GS.

Yep I agree with @Medic21 on this one. $1500 is nothing off a used -pre 2020 model. I bet they were blowing them out the door new for that price last year once the new g4000 came out.

I paid equivalent to $3900USD for my g100 used 1 year old (at the start of this heating season). So for in other words I wouldn't pay over 4k for it now... remember we are also half way through winter pretty much.
That is actually a killer price on a used one here. I could get at least 6k out of my 2 y/o conventional still.

I think I'll see if he'll entertain a $5k offer. My house is only 1,800 sq ft so I'm sure the G100 will be plenty capable. The $4k savings compared to a new G4000 will be extremely helpful. Unless you folks feel differently, and have adamant negative opinions of the G100, but I'm not getting that vibe.

It's been a great little unit. Don't cut your wood too long, it needs wood under 16".
I heated over 3000 sq ft for 5 years with a G100 and a GS100.

It's been a great little unit. Don't cut your wood too long, it needs wood under 16".
I heated over 3000 sq ft for 5 years with a G100 and a GS100.

I appreciate your response. The G4000 seems like a particularly nice unit, but the cost savings of this G100 are too significant to ignore. Are you able to confirm that the warranty is easily transferable?

I appreciate your response. The G4000 seems like a particularly nice unit, but the cost savings of this G100 are too significant to ignore. Are you able to confirm that the warranty is easily transferable?

If the seller kept up with the yearly water samples it should be fine from what I was told... maybe EYoder can confirm?

I've had them do it for me. You'd need to call Heatmaster with the serial number to be sure. It does depend on the previous owner doing water testing.

Sounds good, I will be sure to call them once I get ahold of the serial number. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Had a local dealer stop by today who not only sells Polar & Crown Royal furnaces, but designed his own stove which he obviously tries to sell first.

It's a closed/pressurized/non-gasser OWB which he designed himself and had a local manufacturer produce. My biggest gripe is that there's only 4 or 5 of them installed so far and not much of a track record to depend on. The dealer was nice enough, but refused to tell me who the actual manufacturer of the furnace is (odd). Price was $10,900 which is more than other comparable stoves. He swears that the closed/pressurized system will make it last for 30-40 years though.

I can't find anything online about the series, so I'll try to upload the literature I have on it.

Thoughts? The G100 I was eyeballing got sold from underneath me, so I'm leaning heavily toward the G4000 but thought the idea of a closed system OWB was an interesting talking point.

Pressurized?? How much water does it hold? The only OWB pressurized system I have ever seen way the old clean fire from Woodmaster and it was a disaster.

You will require oxygen barrier pipe and there is more involved in pressurized systems. Not to mention on I don’t like the thought of a large bomb.

A homemade boiler for $10,900 sounds like a lot of money for a proverbial "pig in a poke".
I've seen many small brands come and go over the years, small design flaws often knock them out.
This one may be fine tho. I dunno.

Reactions: andym and sloeffle