P38 auger and flame issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masskid21

Dec 18, 2016
Massachusetts
So a few days ago my p38 started acting running on 3 auger and room temp 70 degrees. It would over do the pellets and be spilling out - no burned pellets. So i,call the dealer and he told me I had to run the stove at stove temp max and auger max to get my 1 inch ash line. I did and nothing came about.

Today I cleaned the stove the best I could. Took the back apart cleaned anything I could . Vacuumed inside the stove cleaned everything I could . Burn pot grates clean out under the burn pot . Exhaust motor ec.t

Now my stove is at stove temp 4 and my auger at 4. To me it cant keep enuff pellets in the pot. I turned it up to 5 and still seems it cant keep enuff in. I have like 2 inch of an ash line ..

Any input would be great. I'm so confused thanks ..

1482040689552324636492.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt see mention of pulling exhaust probe out and cleaning it. Try window cleaner and paper towel to remove deposits. If probe is bent its more than likely damaged which can result in a small flame.

If you haven't already - check your fines box. Also make sure everything is sealed (ash door, hopper lid, fines cover). If everything is OK - it could be an ESP issue as mentioned by jzm2cc.

If it just seems like it is idling along, then check to make sure the probe connection at the back of the stove is still well seated. If it gets dislodged (even a little, where it seems to be connected), the stove will be confused and not know what it is supposed to do.Easy way to check if probe is working is put the sensing tip just above the stove while it is running. After a minute or so it should sense that it is too warm and go into shut down mode. If it doesn't, look for a 4 blink error (I'm hoping the P38 is something like my P43). Also, put a bag of frozen peas or something similar on the tip, the feeder should start dumping pellets and flame should jump to life shortly afterwards.

Have you by chance switched pellet brands lately? I find the smaller the pellet, the lower feed rate I need (~3). The larger the pellet (or mixed lengths) need a longer feed (4 in my case)

I didnt see mention of pulling exhaust probe out and cleaning it. Try window cleaner and paper towel to remove deposits. If probe is bent its more than likely damaged which can result in a small flame.

Although not necessarily a bad plan, I would check the easier stuff first. I've never pulled either of my probes for cleaning - just run a brush over them every month or so from inside the chamber.

Reactions: Masskid21
If it just seems like it is idling along, then check to make sure the probe connection at the back of the stove is still well seated. If it gets dislodged (even a little, where it seems to be connected), the stove will be confused and not know what it is supposed to do.Easy way to check if probe is working is put the sensing tip just above the stove while it is running. After a minute or so it should sense that it is too warm and go into shut down mode. If it doesn't, look for a 4 blink error (I'm hoping the P38 is something like my P43). Also, put a bag of frozen peas or something similar on the tip, the feeder should start dumping pellets and flame should jump to life shortly afterwards.

Have you by chance switched pellet brands lately? I find the smaller the pellet, the lower feed rate I need (~3). The larger the pellet (or mixed lengths) need a longer feed (4 in my case)

Thanks for the tips . No ihave been running the same brand pellets for awile now . I acually just pulles her apart and found my auger ash chamber was 3/4 full of ash and i pulled my prode and it was nasty dirty..

Reactions: bogieb
If you haven't already - check your fines box. Also make sure everything is sealed (ash door, hopper lid, fines cover). If everything is OK - it could be an ESP issue as mentioned by jzm2cc.

Update on what i did . I pulled the fine box and it was 3/4full.of dust so i vacumea it all out and made sure i got everything. Then i pulled my esp.probe and it eas caked with idk what ashy sut and so on .. im heading out for the day and will.fire her up tonite . Hoping i solved any issue .. thanks agian

Reactions: bogieb
Update on what i did . I pulled the fine box and it was 3/4full.of dust so i vacumea it all out and made sure i got everything. Then i pulled my esp.probe and it eas caked with idk what ashy sut and so on .. im heading out for the day and will.fire her up tonite . Hoping i solved any issue .. thanks agian

Status
Not open for further replies.