P43 50/50 mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clayton24

Sep 8, 2021
Mercer Pennsylvania
I have a p43 harman. The top of the lid says I can burn a 50/50 mixture of corn and pellets. But the salesman says not to….????
Does anyone on here burn that mix? Maybe do at 25/75 mix? Let me know!

There are a few threads on it, here is one

You need to be apprised that one, the corn must be below 15% RM, no exceptions and if you must, start out with a 75-25 mix (75% pellets 25% corn) and go from there

In any case, I don't have a Harmon and my unit is corn rated at any ratio. The issue with corn is the hard clinkers it produces whereas pellets only produce ash.

I see no monetary advantage in burning corn unless you are like me and get it basically free. If I didn't, I'd be running pellets because new crop corn prices here are running in the 5 buck per bushel range which is substantially more than a bag of pellets comparing BTU output per pound of fuel.

Speaking of stoves, kind of cool here today so I fired up the central furnace to take the chill off. I won't start the biomass stove until it gets cold and stays cold. Once the ambient is below 40 consistently, I'll fire up the stove. Until then we are on propane.

Reactions: Washed-Up