P43 ash pan area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teddyb

Jul 3, 2019
Cincinnati
Is it normal to have thick black buildup behind ash pan,it's hard to scrap off with a putty knive,but does come clean just a pain to scrap,I've noticed it on the front of door sometimes but not as thick,thanks guys.

Flame has always been good no problems,vent pipe is always cleaned,it's just when I good to clean that area,it's always thick ash that's hard to clean up,stove is 3 years old,and runs great.

Can't imagine Ash think enough to scrape with Puddy Knife. Mine is like fine fluff (grey). Only time it was black was when I left the metal cloth in the pipe outside to block stupid birds in spring. Air was blocked in the pipe by smoke settlign on the wire cloth. You have flapper on the OAK (Outside Air)? Make sure that is working right. I solved mine by fully opening the flap with strong magnet. Then I remembered the cloth.

The company that installed it says it's ok,it's only on the back bye the bracket where you clean the fan and pipe,the sides are fluffy ash I can remove with paint brush,but back is like it's baked on,anyway thanks for the feedback, it's appreciate.