P43 igniter lifespan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teddyb

Jul 3, 2019
Cincinnati
Going on 5 year,always have it on auto,it cycles on and off alot,always keep it clean,just curious how long do they normally last,thinking about replacing it this summer. Thanks guys

Mine has been going for about 10 years but I don't run my stove in Auto. I would wait for it to go dead before replacing it.

7 yrs on mine...
buy a new one as a spare for when it does go..
bought spare last year..

Just finished the 11th winter on mine. Thought it needed replaced last year, so bought one to replace it. while taking it out a bunch of fine ash was on top, so cleaned it out and put it back in still working. Now I clean it better and tap burn pot to make sure it is cleaned out. So it was operator error in this case :(
At least I have a spare now.

Just finished the 11th winter on mine. Thought it needed replaced last year, so bought one to replace it. while taking it out a bunch of fine ash was on top, so cleaned it out and put it back in still working. Now I clean it better and tap burn pot to make sure it is cleaned out. So it was operator error in this case :(
At least I have a spare now.
Hit it with can of compressed air.. gets all the tiny ash bits out..

Got 5 years out of mine running on room temp auto 99% of the time.
Ron

Haven't had to replace either of my igniters. The P43 is on run off a thermostat 99% of time (when it starts firing up while it is still in shut down mode, I turn it to stove temp). The P61a used to be on room temp for about 75% of the time, but since I put it on a thermostat it's been run from the thermostat full time. However, the last two winters have been a bit milder than usual, so that could change down the road.

I did get a spare igniter a couple of years ago, just in case. As long as I can remember where that is at, I'm pretty much guaranteed that I'll never need it ;)

Haven't had to replace either of my igniters. The P43 is on run off a thermostat 99% of time (when it starts firing up while it is still in shut down mode, I turn it to stove temp). The P61a used to be on room temp for about 75% of the time, but since I put it on a thermostat it's been run from the thermostat full time. However, the last two winters have been a bit milder than usual, so that could change down the road.

I did get a spare igniter a couple of years ago, just in case. As long as I can remember where that is at, I'm pretty much guaranteed that I'll never need it ;)
so explain to me how your thermostat keeps ignitor from being used as opposed to the room mode temp probe having to use the ignitor..
little confused here..unless your themostat keeps it from totally shutting off? or your using stove mode/?

so explain to me how your thermostat keeps ignitor from being used as opposed to the room mode temp probe having to use the ignitor..
little confused here..unless your themostat keeps it from totally shutting off? or your using stove mode/?

It doesn't.

Obviously what I wrote was confusing and I should have just left off any explanation of my set up - I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was "saving" my igniter. Either way they both use the igniters quite a bit during the winter months.

It doesn't.

Obviously what I wrote was confusing and I should have just left off any explanation of my set up - I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was "saving" my igniter. Either way they both use the igniters quite a bit during the winter months.
Ok.. thought maybe u found a secret Hack or something lol... all good..

Reactions: bogieb
I don't have one, I'm a gelled firestarter person....lol But, I'd always have a spare on hand as stuff like that always fails at a bad time.

I keep spare ignitors with all my high efficiency propane furnaces, just in case. Don't need my renters freezing their you know what's off and me getting midnight calls.