P43 pellet, low heat output with feed rate maxed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajbass

Apr 12, 2016
CT
Hi, I'm back with the same issue from 2017. I have two P43's from Aug and Sept 2011. Currently, feed rate, stove or room on maxed and temp on max. I can't seem to get the burn pot full enough to create a good flame. I have the OAK and exhaust goes straight out 3' or 4' 3" pipe. Also, after cleaning and when on higher heat setting, i get the dreaded rumble/woofing.
I read through my previous post and others and could not find out if they ever resolved the burn pot design issue? The stove will heat up and maintain, but is slow to get there. Stove burned much hooter when new and feed rate on 3 to 4 would push pellets over the burn pot ledge. Now the flame looks like its just trying to maintain.

Feed rate maxed stove temp makes and Hammers for pellets. Recent full clean. 20211129_084501.jpg

Attachments

• 20211129_084647.mp4
    8.4 MB
seems like the control board is not allowing the auger to feed more pellets. be careful how you set the stove temp. you should just use room temp setting

I would clean and check the esp probe first. I don't know the ohm reading it should have. Control board uses the probe for all it's adjustments. I can tell how my stove runs when the probe is ashed up.

I would clean and check the esp probe first. I don't know the ohm reading it should have. Control board uses the probe for all it's adjustments. I can tell how my stove runs when the probe is ashed up.
I clean my probe twice a year and before I thought of it I went years without cleaning and it never gave me trouble

Check the location of your room sensing probe. I keep mine coiled around the door to the controls (which I keep open), but once the cats managed to get the tip too close to the side of the stove, so it thought the room temp was hot once the start up was completed so it kept the flame low. Also, make sure the RSP is plugged in tightly in the back of the stove, a loose connection can cause issues too.

If either of those helps your flame/feed issue, it won't help with any rumbling.

Not the probe, they all read the same ohms in both stoves and my two spares. I had previous swapped boards with my spare.
Update:
After reading posts about the woofing (mine too) and burn pot design issues. I look at burn pots and realized that there's air passages behind the flange. So, i took a plastic wire tie and passed through holes, sprayed air through and vacuumed. Now. no more woofing and was able to set feed rate back between 3 to 4. Although, doing the same on my backup stove, no change.

Not the probe, they all read the same ohms in both stoves and my two spares. I had previous swapped boards with my spare.
Update:
After reading posts about the woofing (mine too) and burn pot design issues. I look at burn pots and realized that there's air passages behind the flange. So, i took a plastic wire tie and passed through holes, sprayed air through and vacuumed. Now. no more woofing and was able to set feed rate back between 3 to 4. Although, doing the same on my backup stove, no change.
what flange are you talking about on the burn pot? do you have a pic of it? I do not have that problem just wondering where the passages are

Reactions: Washed-Up
You should take an allen wrench, or nail or something and poke them once in a while. Also underneath the burnpot (accessible through the ash door) is a little panel you can take off and suck out the ash that's around your igniter.
Yes, I always vacuum igniter chamber and make sure the burn pots are open. This time I used a plastic wire tie and used air to blow out. Woofing stopped!

I may have to try cleaning mine out. Not sure if the woofing is what I have. I hear something like helicopters, or like there is something in my driveway. It is odd almost more of a vibration than an actual noise.

I always scrape in front of those holes beside the auger, and I hit it all with the vacuum, but have never put anything down through them in the 8 years I have had mine.

I may have to try cleaning mine out. Not sure if the woofing is what I have. I hear something like helicopters, or like there is something in my driveway. It is odd almost more of a vibration than an actual noise.

I always scrape in front of those holes beside the auger, and I hit it all with the vacuum, but have never put anything down through them in the 8 years I have had mine.
Rumbling, woofing or helicopters, I believe its all the same. When it happened, I would see the flame flutter as well. So, on the first burn after that, the woofing if gone.

When you do clean the holes in the burnpot, be careful not to hit the igniter in the center, it’s a good idea to unplug the stove when you do it. A drill bit is what I use…or a 90 degree pick

Reactions: mtnbiker727
When you do clean the holes in the burnpot, be careful not to hit the igniter in the center, it’s a good idea to unplug the stove when you do it. A drill bit is what I use…or a 90 degree pick
I was referring to the 2 vent holes in back of burn pot.
1-10-00675_4ff434c9-3eb8-45bb-81c1-b0cfdc46e800.png

I realize that…just doing due diligence for anyone else who may not know…I’ve never had to clean the 2 ports, leaf blower trick does that for me

I was also surprised by those two holes/ports (and forget them until it is time to clean). My P61a doesn't have those. Usually I can just use a brush to clean out the ash, but I've found pieces of pellets in them before. If the stove is cold, I'll also use the vac to make sure. I only do the LBT every couple of months, but clean every 2-3 weeks, so cleaning them out manually keeps it running well.