P43 Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kherr

Sep 25, 2012
Nampa, Idaho
This morning, I woke up to a burn pot full of unburned pellets and a shut down stove. (It never lit) I cleaned most of them out and restarted the stove. It fired right up, but I could never get it to burn swiftly, or what I would call normal. It would feed some pellets, then stop, much like it was running in manual and at the room temperature specified. After about 45 minutes, I had to go to work, so I just shut it off. Since it has been almost 3 weeks since I cleaned it out and dusted off the ESP probe, I am going to assume the ESP probe is gunked up. Do you think that is the case, or something else. Thanks in advance.

dirty igniter? is the rear fines chamber clean? Chunk in the hopper? Pellet bridge in hopper? Gummy feeder syndrome....

If you're pushing two bags a day thru it, 3 weeks is cleaning time. That's when MY P43 is ready...I'm thinkin the igniter cavity & the holes in the burnpot need TLC...

Try cleaning fines out of rear chamber. I had a client with exact problem and that took care of it. Also good cleaning wouldn't hurt.

I gave it a cleaning, even though it did not seem too bad. When you folks speak of the rear chamber, are you talking about the area under the igniter of the burn pot, or somewhere else? It was not fun to start, (took forever and dumped a lot of pellets out of the burn pot) but it finally started. Now it is going like hell!

Each time I have this slow start issue it is when I am burning the same pellet. Coincidence, or not, I am not sure. It would have been 3 weeks tomorrow since the last cleaning, running 1 bag per day.

Try this:
Pellet fines may accumulate in the feeder body over a period of time; therefore, a yearly inspection and cleaning of this area must be performed.
To clean out fines:
1. Remove the rear cover panels.
2. Remove wing nut and feeder cover on the
side of the feeder.
3. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all fines.
4. Reinstall feed cover, wing nut, and rear cover panels.
This comes straight out of harman book.
If chamber has too much dust unit can not supply enough pellets so it shuts down.

Try this:
Pellet fines may accumulate in the feeder body over a period of time; therefore, a yearly inspection and cleaning of this area must be performed.
To clean out fines:
1. Remove the rear cover panels.
2. Remove wing nut and feeder cover on the
side of the feeder.
3. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all fines.
4. Reinstall feed cover, wing nut, and rear cover panels.
This comes straight out of harman book.
If chamber has too much dust unit can not supply enough pellets so it shuts down.

Thanks. I will clean it out this weekend.

if the feeder fines chamber gets totally full, it will completely stop the stove from feeding, and usually cause the stove to fault out with a 6 blink error. Can also bind the gears in the gearmotor assembly and tear up a gear or two....pretty important to clean this

This morning, I woke up to a burn pot full of unburned pellets and a shut down stove. (It never lit) I cleaned most of them out and restarted the stove. It fired right up, but I could never get it to burn swiftly, or what I would call normal. It would feed some pellets, then stop, much like it was running in manual and at the room temperature specified. After about 45 minutes, I had to go to work, so I just shut it off. Since it has been almost 3 weeks since I cleaned it out and dusted off the ESP probe, I am going to assume the ESP probe is gunked up. Do you think that is the case, or something else. Thanks in advance.

Clean the combustion fan and all of the exhaust. Make sure you clean the ignitor under the burn pot.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.