P61 vs p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arcaselli92

Oct 29, 2022
Fingerlakes NY
I know this is a loaded question..were purchasing a p61 in Dec. The p68 is backorder until Jan. Only 1 month. We have a 2000sqft split level home in the fingerlakes. Insulation added to the attic newer windows. Stove will be located on 1st floor over bedrooms. Would you stick with the 61 or is the 7k btu p68 worth waiting an extra month for? Thank you!

Personally, I’d go with the P61. It will probably do what you need. Others may chime in now…
What he said. X2

I had a conversation with a Harman dealer years ago about this topic and he said that a P68's heat output is difficult to control, whereas a P61 will go on and off less frequently in room temp mode. P61 is plenty. If the house were 2500-3000 square feet, then you could use a P68.

Reactions: arcaselli92
P61

I look at it in a different light
I would want the bigger output stove
You can turn a stove down but you can
not get more heat out of a smaller stove
If you should need more heat
Just my nickles worth from the Great White North.

I look at it in a different light
I would want the bigger output stove
You can turn a stove down but you can
not get more heat out of a smaller stove
If you should need more heat
Just my nickles worth from the Great White North.
I agree!

According to Harman's website, the P68 BTU range is 20,200 to 67,600. The P61 is 21,400 - 60,700.

So the P68 not only can put out more heat than the P61, but it can also put out less heat (granted, it's not a lot less...).

Reactions: Washed-Up
Just know that there is a big difference in pellet consumption between the 2, the biggest complaint I’ve seen with the P68 is the amount of pellets it takes to achieve near max output.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Just know that there is a big difference in pellet consumption between the 2, the biggest complaint I’ve seen with the P68 is the amount of pellets it takes to achieve near max output.
It's not like the P68 is less efficient, it's just bigger and puts out more heat.

If someone is running a P68 hot and complaining about how many pellets it uses, they would complain that a P61 doesn't get hot enough.

But to your point, yes people should be aware that if you buy a big stove and use it to heat a big (or poorly insulated) space, it's going to take a lot of pellets.